This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Stelam92
Morning all,

I've got my '06 Electra in pieces at the moment and will be rebuilding her as a trials-esque, knobbly tyred stallion.

I currently ride a 300cc Beta in local Trials events and was wondering if anybody had converted an Electra for trials or any other fun, such as hillclimbing or sand racing, Malle Mile etc??

Reading the forums again recently I'm concerned about bottom end fragility, and the general lack of ability to deskin a rice pudding, but any input greatly received.

Plenty of questions to come no doubt as I sink my teeth into the refurb.

Thanks
By Adrian
You'd have to check with each event organiser regarding class eligibility, etc. There may be some which would accept it in a post-classic class.

As for 1) toughening up the bottom end, and 2) making the thing go faster as well as not going bang, there is plenty in this forum archives on both subjects, but here's a quick recap.

You won't want the electric start for comp use, so that's sprag clutch worries out the door. As for the crankshaft, the Alpha bearings conversion for the Electra-X con-rod (UK-made crankpin, + hardened outer bearing sleeve for the big-end eye) + the best main bearings you can afford is where you'd start. You could even get the timing side crankcase machined to take the 3mm wider NU2205 main bearing to beef up the timing side. While you've got the crankcases apart, getting the timing side half modified to take traditional Bullet cam followers and guides will be well worth it, even if you have to faff around with the pushrods afterwards.

The go-faster business is basically down to carbs, cams and free-flowing exhaust. 36mm is a good size for a tuned Electra's carb, the big Amal Mk2s are no longer available new but Dell'Orto PHF36s and Mikuni VM36's are. Maybe a Mikuni VM36 jetted for a Yamaha SR/XT500 would be a good starting point, though you'd have to play with the set-up. I ran a TM36-31 Mikuni on mine, just needed a bigger pilot and main from the Yamaha settings. The inlet port on the head is already pretty big, very little work needed to port it to 36mm, 38mm is easily do-able for racing. The exhaust port would most likely benefit from a clean-up, they're usually rough and restrictive. I think it's no longer a secret the old Redditch Bullet "S" cams work best on these engines.

A.
By Stelam92
Adrian you're a legend thanks for your input.

When I'm next at home I'll start a thread for the build and we'll go from there.

I'm happy to hear it's not in the realms of the impossible to eek a few ponies out of her and breathe some life back into the old girl, the sensible money would likely be on jacking it in and getting a more suitable bike but where's the fun in that..!

Would our hosts be able to carry out the required engine work or would you be able to offer any recommendations on companies?

I know there's definitely a few flat track events I could get it into, and Malle Mile etc, but probably well into next year at this point.

I'll do some perusing of the archives to see what I can drag up.

Sprag clutch is already on my list for removal as it packed up long ago, and I've removed the wiring and starter etc. Inner primary case is on my shopping list to do away with the hump, and I'll be looking at going battery-less.

Excited to get cracking
Cheers
By Daiwiskers
I happen to know a man in S. Wales that could do exactly what you want

Calling B.W.

Hope this helps Dai
By Adrian
Whereabouts are you? There are various people scattered around the country who could do a good job.

I don't know to what extent our hosts are set up for this, but if you're in the Midlands try Tollgate Classics up in Staffs, 01538 754115 or if you fancy a trip to S. Wales, Performance Classics 01550 777608, plenty of experience of souped-up roadster Bullets (forum search for ASBO Bullets) AND BHR winning Bullet racers, as well as some pretty fastidious crank rebuilding. This is the B.W. (Bullet Whisperer) to whom Dai is referring.

As for cylinder head work, if you're to be trusted with a die grinder and flap wheels (read careful rather than gung-ho!) a bit of patience will give you good D-I-Y results.

Big hole already (standard inlet against Amal 1½" GP carb spacer).

Bigger hole...

Getting silly, now (Dell'Orto PHM38, ex-BMW R90S).

Work in progress, totally deranged.

A.
By Stelam92
Thanks chaps

Interesting that the port work is so straight forward - I use die grinders etc at work so no issues there, definitely something I could tackle myself - and Adrian that looks a beast with that ex BMW carbytooter on it!

I'm based in North Lincs - but not averse to travelling for the right people.

Back in the shed tomorrow so I'll grab some shots of the poor old steed and get a thread going for anybody who might be interested in following along with the build.

Cheers
By Adrian
and I'll be looking at going battery-less.
Missed that first time round, I like this project already! However, it's not as straight forward with an Electra-X as on an old points ignition Indian Bullet. With the latter, so long as the alternator is in good nick you can swap out the battery for a suitable capacitor (or fit a Boyer Powerbox) et Robert est ton oncle...

The Electra-X is blessed(-ish) with crank mounted TCI ignition, these can be a lot fussier if the voltage ain't up to it, which at kick-over speeds may well be the case. I did try replacing the battery on mine with a suitable capacitor, but kicking the engine over failed to yield any sparks. Not all alternators, even permanent magnet ones, will let you do this. Later versions of the Electra-X's alternator (as fitted to some home-market Indian UCE Bullets) have 18 core stators instead of the 12 core yours will have, they might chuck out more juice at lower RPM. If anyone HAS managed to get ignition sparks while kicking over a battery-less Electra-X, I'd be interested to know.

Failing this, it does not mean that you CAN'T have a battery-less 500 (formerly) lean burn Bullet engine, there are other options, it just gets a bit more involved, which we can discuss in due course.

Meanwhile, as for being in North Lincs, the Midlands Bullet Riders Forum does have some Bullet Riders in the Grimsby area, do a search and join us (the definition of the Midlands has got a bit elastic these days).

A.
By Adrian
I gave Tollgate Classics as a possible outfit for the rebuild, but I spoke to the proprietor this afternoon and he is recovering from some serious surgery, so it will be a while before he returns to work.

A.
By Daiwiskers
Have a look on YouTube for asbo bullet's on you tube if this is what you want Paul is you're man

Cheer's Dai
By Adrian
I already gave Performance Classics a mention, Dai! No, neither of us are on a retainer...

We'll see what Stelam92 wants to do. Willingness to travel aside, it's a fair old hike from his given location.

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles