This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By EnfieldVA
Hello fellow enthusiasts and masochists

Have a 2009 bullet/electa X hybrid bored out to 535cc.
I’ve got what I’m guessing is a Sprag issue. After all this time thought I was the lucky one.
I always decompress a couple times prior to kickstarting to get back to center, mainly exclusively kickstart. Since last year it sometimes catches on kicking, and acts is if it’s in gear, can’t kickstart/won’t allow decompressing. If I try to electric start I can hear clicking and sometimes it will resort to freely spinning, sometimes it will start after hearing some clicking around (implying loose parts I suppose). If I roll from neutral to first and back, kickstart again, it usually works. Common things common, I’m guessing a Sprag issue. I was watching a YouTube video by “clean nuts” (nice one) and saw his idle gear was stripped away as well. Before I consider tearing everything apart after having replaced the chain case gasket last year (no teeth seen, though the parts in question are hidden on these bikes), has anyone tried the e-starter upgrade 90158 produced by Hitchcocks?
Also read somewhere that “newer” sprags are better quality.
Have read so often on the forum over the years that people just take Estart out altogether. Not really wanting to do this, but likely the cheapest and simplest option. If I do, I’ll have to research the parts to keep/replace so it still works on kickstarting.

Collective wisdom and support appreciated

Sean
By Andy C
I share your pain. I had 2003 500 that I converted to 612 with our hosts conversion.

Not long after I bought the bike from new the sprag packed in, so I had it fixed uner warranty, and it continued to work OK.

Post 612 conversion it worked a couple of times and then the iinevitable, it packed in.

I lost patience with it, and junked the sprag, starter motor, and the associated electrics - best thing I ever did as it was easy to start on the kickstart. Also meant I could fit a smaller battery, all in all saved a lot of weight and hassle.

Might be less trouble to consider binning it.

Just my 2 penneth.
By Davedup
I just binned the lot on my 500. Replaced the inner case with a non electric start one, readily available 2nd hand. Needed to drill and tap two holes in the crankcase. Alternatively you can just remove the lot and use the available "plug" to plug the hole. I changed my case because it had damaged the case but also I prefer the cleaner lines without the starter. Been easy enough to kick start. I would like to fit a 5 speed box but that's another story.......

Dave
By EnfieldVA
Yeah, probably not worth it all…Thanks to you both for opining. Was reading another forum post from 2019 about your primary issue. Seems like a big ask for me to find a manufactured inner case that will fit sans hump. I’ve got a buddy that does welding, so maybe we’ll see about cutting the hump off Vs just plug and play.

So to get myself straight, I’m understanding to remove the starter components, literally everything in that hump goes to the scrapyard?

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles