This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Andy C
Thought I would have a dig around You Tube - seems that everyone wires them direct to the battery, which is not the best of idea as it puts a current drain (albeit very small) on the battery.

As the Him does not seem to have a dedicated connection point for accessories I have fitted mine by tapping into the wiring loom to the rear light - easy to get at, it is already fused, and when the ignition is off so is the USB adaptor.
By stinkwheel
Best way is to connect them direct to the battery via a fused relay which is activated by tapping into a switched live. I generally use the rear brake switch live on the basis that if it decides to fail where I disrupted the standard wiring, It's not really all that important. I also generally do it on the switch wiring rather than the loom wiring so I haven't altered the loom in any way, switches can be replaced if you want to put it back to standard.
By Andy C
Fair comment I guess - I was just looking for an easy solution that would give me a fused switched supply.

I made a good job of tapping into the loom - hook joints / solder / heat shrink sleeving so no danger of failure - knew my workshop wiring training I did during my apprenticeship would come in useful someday !!

The new "loom" goes into the handbook case under the seat where it terminates in a couple of "faston" terminals which the corresponing ones on the USB adaptor plug into.

Done this so I can stick a satnav on the bike as well as being able to charge my phone which I sometimes forget to charge before going out on the bike, also fitted one to my Speedmaster
By stinkwheel
Most of the bikes I build these days (admittedly, not the enfield), I fit an auxilliary fuse box under the seat. You get dinky little fuse/relay holder boxes that take a relay and three blade fuses for less than a fiver. I wire it into the bike so the relay is switched from the battery via the brakelight as described above then run a bit of 4-core cable up to the front of the bike carrying three seperate fused supplies and an earth return for accessories. One does the heated grips, another does a charging socket and that leaves a spare (on Mrs stinkwheels bike, for her heated vest).

One refinement I'm going to do on the current one is to add a bypass switch so I can also have the socket powered up with the bike off and key out so I can charge the phone/device with the ignition off (my jap bikes will cope with a phone fully charging right off the battery). I've also got a USB socket with the transformer remote from the socket so I can leave the transformer neatly under the seat next to the fuse/relay box and just have the charging socket up front . I may even panel mount it.

With all the above, I also fit a small LED voltmeter on the dash in paralell with the main switched live at the ignition.
By Dinsdale
Just looked at Hitchcock's instructions. It says "Connect the two way block connector from the
USB adaptor to the USB sub harness" so not directly to the battery - enabling the ignition to control it and prevent accidental drainage if left plugged in

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles