This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Rob Blake
I'm converting my Electra 500 into a green laning bike. It's very much a work in progress. I'm not happy with the footrests they feel weak and flexible. Has anyone improved on them or fitted different? There doesn't appear to be much frame to work with and also they need to stick out a fair way to cover the rear brake.
Any suggestions much appreciated.
Attachments
web page 1.JPG
web page 1.JPG (61.34 KiB) Viewed 4496 times
By rattonshaw
I don't know how similar the frame on my 2014 Electra is to your frame, but after much thinking and designing, I fabricated a set of trials-position foot rests, see the topic (1) Off roading on a Bullet. - Page 16 - Hitchcocks Forum (hitchcocksmotorcycles.com). That might give you some ideas. The photos show the work in progress. The plates and linkages have since been trimmed and painted.
By Rob Blake
Hi again. I've found it now. I would think the frame is similar. Obviously different engine and box. Looks like your gear change is further back.
Do you get much vibration up through those pegs when doing road work?
By stinkwheel
I filpped the pillion peg mounts 180 degrees and attached a set of slightly modified sammy miller footpegs to them on my bullet, i think the electra has a similar setup? This puts them directly under the swingarm pivot.

I was a bit uncertain if the taper would stand up to the loads, but it does.

I had to fabricate a new brake lever once I'd done this. I left the gear lever where it was. After researching what they did on works bikes, it was pretty much that. Surprisingly little hassle to reach forwards for a gear.

By Adrian
When Watsonian-Squire were the UK importers, their final custom version of the Electra-X was their take on the old Woodsman model, and this had rear-set footrests and controls, which at the time I thought was a bit odd at the time for a trail bike, but maybe not. I had a test ride on one during one of their open days and it felt OK to ride.

I think out hosts still offer them for both left and right foot shift 5-speed gearboxes.

Here are a couple of pictures from the day back in 2008, an Electra Woodsman and someone's cafe racer with a right foot shift rear sets.

That's a very blue exhaust pipe in your picture, is your carb jetted a bit lean?

A.
By stinkwheel
Brake lever turned into a bit of a saga because I also fitted longer shocks and cocked up the rod geometry so the brake cammed on when you went over bumps. Landed up doing a cable conversion which works, albeit not very well. It works well enough for trials speeds.

Here's what I did though. This worked fine, just not with the longer shocks:

By stinkwheel
Rob Blake wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:38 pm
Perfect. Thanks for that. Guess it still mot's ok?
The MOT brake test is a distressingly low bar. Also drum brakes tend to read way higher than they have any right to on the rolling road tests. I've had bikes pass that you could literally push forwards while holding the brake on.

With the pull rod, it stopped the rollers no problem which is a pass regardless. With the cable it taskes some welly and they have to do maths to check if it was effective enough. Mind you, it's got a single leading half-width hub on the front and that passes too.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles