This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Reds1
Hi,
I’m the proud owner of a 2016 500 B5 Bullet , was wondering how many miles owners have on theirs and also how many miles these engines generally capable of before work needs doing?
Regards
By Jack the Lad
I put 31000 miles on my 2010 Electra EFI in the 4 years I had it before I traded it for a Himalayan. Never had any engine problems, but it needed work from around 10,000 miles to keep on top of vibration related component fatigue (all sorts of brackets and fasteners) and electrical problems which were mainly short circuits where insulation wore through from rubbing against metal edges.
I've been through half a dozen different bikes since and I'm looking for another EFI 500 to buy now. It's not maintenance free motorcycling, but it's the most enjoyable to ride I've owned, closely followed by the Himi.
By Trev
22k on a 2008 efi in just over 8 years, an all year round hack used for two up pottering, Winter lane riding, a few day long trips and even a bit of green laning. It was tatty when I got it and even tattier (apart from the lovely chrome tank) when I sold it but the only time it let me down was when the clutch cable snapped 80 miles from home but even then it was surprisingly easy to ride home, even two up.

No major mechanical issues although, as with JtL's bike, it got baggier as the miles went on. I changed oil and filter a couple of times a year as it did seem hard on oil although it did get a fair bit of full throttle use on my solo riding. Wiring rubbed through in two places, around headstock which caused horn to short (hilarious!) and near fuse block which caused intermittent cut-out but fortunately found in the garage not on a ride. Fuel sensor fell apart and the replacement seemed to clunk around even more on low fuel levels but still worked, or at least as well as they ever do.

Mechanically I replaced the chain and sprockets (upped front to a 19 at the same time), the cr*p plastic swingarm bushes with Hitchcocks own, one set of brake shoes and one set of pads, nacelle bulbs with LED's which stopped them blowing and new front brake lever and casting as snapped mine when 'trail riding'. Also changed exhaust but only for aesthetics and sound.

Replaced with a 2017 chrome tank euro 4 which seems smoother and better put together although only up to 3k on that and it only gets used for pottering and dry duties, the Himmy has become my 'ride it all weathers and rarely clean it bike'.

My limited experience of two UCE 500's has been pretty good, you need to keep on top of maintenance but I wouldn't hesitate putting reasonable mileage on one, hence I bought another. Very rewarding bike to own IMO
By barrett
I am nearing 50K miles on my 2012 C5. I did a full tear-down and rebuild on the motor when it hit 45K. Replaced all of the bearings with english made and new crank, big bore kit (535), performance valve springs, and the "hot" cams. Bike doesn't go any faster than it did before, but it makes getting on the freeway much easier. In 2014, I installed the AMAL carb conversion kit. At what point can I start calling my engine a "Hitchcocks" motor?
Enfield.jpg
Enfield.jpg (785.64 KiB) Viewed 1602 times

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles