This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
Hello, can I have some guidance please?

My 1960 Redditch Bullet petrol tank is this colour...

I believe its called 'Polychromatic Burgundy' according to both the parts books relating to model years 1958-59 and 1961. I'd like to spray paint the chain-guard and both toolbox lids the same colour but can't find any reference to it after looking through Hitchcock's online.

Has anyone found a close (ish!) modern match per chance?

Cheers,

DTB.
I would take a flake of paint to a spray shop and ask if they can match it
Or take it to a paint supplier's and ask if they can make up a few rattle cans for you

Hope this helps Dai
When sprayed up, these are, I think painted with three coats of clear dark red lacquer over a metallic silver or gold base coat. As for the rattle can route, metallic burgundy ought to be easy enough to get hold of from your nearest trusted car bits supplier, along with some clear spray lacquer to seal it.

Next job will be to kick the newly-painted and lacquered panels and chain guard around the shed for a day or two to match the chips on the original tank paint...

A.
A few years ago I got a close approximation using 'Peugeot Pagoda Red'. I think 'Rover Nightfire Red' would also be pretty near.

Neither are current, but the Rover version still seems to be available on a certain auction website. You'll need lacquer to finish it correctly whichever one you might want to try.
My local bodyshop have a scanner that they use to match the existing paint. The attached computer then tells them what colours and in which proportions to mix. It's a good thing because it caters for faded/weathered paint.

I'm not sure it does chips though.... :lol:

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles