This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By patrickjcrum
Hello,
Having some trouble with my bullet (2002 iron bullet 500 with about 35K miles.)
I have had it since new, and for a few years was a daily rider. It is fairly modified, Running a high compression piston with no gasket, ported head, samarat rockers with sintered steel blocks, kibblewhite valves, etc. It used to run with a concentric carburettor, but I replaced it with a monobloc last fall, due the the old concentric being really worn and knackered with a rough slide that was sticking badly. I've done all this work myself and it is(was) a great running bike.
The bike sat idle (pun) for several years while I dealt with some other issues in my life and wasn't able to give her the attention she deserved.
Fast forward to the current time. Like I mentioned, I've replaced the carburetor with a monobloc, as well as replaced the clutch plates, kick start pawl, added the reinforcement brace for the albion gearbox: although I don't suspect the latter 3 would have anything to do with my current head scratcher.
The bike starts was starting ok and seems to run and pull well, BUT has a habit of holding a high idle/rev when I come off throttle. I found that I could feather the clutch in gear to slow things down and then the Idle would remain low, but as soon as I rev, it stays high again. My initial thought was that the advance was sticking open (and to be fair, I hadn't touched the points, bad on me). When I went in, I did find that the mechanism was gummy so I cleaned it out, and fitted a new set of points while in there. At this point, the bike is starting and running extremely well, but I still seem to have the high rev issue. I've done a little adjusting with the points plate but have not had much luck. On a possibly related issue, i believe my pilot jet may be a little too large, as I have the adjuster almost as far out as it will go in order to get a good idle (when it's not over revving).
Any advice is very appreciated!
Thanks,
Pat
By Wheaters
I agree it’s most likely to be an air leak. I recently had this problem with an increasing and unreliable idle speed with my 350. As others have found, the air slide in the concentric carb begins to wear and allows air past even when fully closed. A new anodised slide from our host cured it.
By Daiwiskers
As the others have said air leak either past slide or between carb and head
But as its a monobloc it could well be a sticking slide

Hope this help's Dai
By Daiwiskers
Too late to edit

Or the cable hanging up
By patrickjcrum
Thank you all. I will check out the manifold tomorrow and report back. I hope it's not a faulty slide as the carburetor itself is almost new. I did take a propane torch (unlit) to the manifold to see if it caused any changes in idle, but didn't note one. further investigation pending.
Much appreciated!
By PeteF
I would be looking for an air leak first (spray with WD40 while engine is running, an air leak will show smoke at exhaust)
Next would be sticking slide. Check the mounting bolts are not too tight as that can warp the carb body.
By patrickjcrum
OK, for an update.. Started and let her warm up this morning, then tried blowing some propane around the manifold to see if the rpms changed, but they didn't appear to. I then tried wd-40 as suggested above. Didn't note any smoke, but the engine appeared to falter slightly. At that point, I went ahead and pulled the carburettor off, and the gasket between the manifold and carb fell apart. Unfortunately I will have to order a replacement as I am out of spares. So I will wait for that before I diagnose further.
One further question: While going through my box of amal parts, I came across a concentric rebuild kit, and in it was a note "warning do not use 'o'ring and gasket on same joint surface"... I've always used both. Could this have been part of the issue?
Again, Much appreciated!
By Wheaters
I think the reason not to use both is because the mounting flange can be distorted when tightening the fixing nuts.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles