This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Vince2
Hi, Ive been asked to repair a 250 crusader with a slipping clutch but while it feels like the correct diagnosis when trying the kickstart the clutch remains still. IE there is no movement between inner and outer plates. The kickstart moves smoothy without any graunching and occasionally the engine will turn over any ideas? Vince
By stinkwheel
So the clutch rotates with the kick but with no obvious slipping? Or is the clutch not moving at all?

Is the primary turning? Engine sprocket attached to the crank? Got teeth on it?
By stinkwheel
So as I understand it, the kickstart pawl engages with the high gear on the layshaft which turns the mainshaft sleeve, which is engaged with the clutch inner which turns the clutch basket which turns the primary chain which turns the engine sprocket on the end of the crank.

If the clutch isn't rotating then the issue is between the kickstart and the clutch inner. So my number 1 suspect would be the kickstart pawl not engaging with the gearbox. Either a broken spring or a worn out pawl. Outside chance of the clutch having come off its splines but I think that would be more obvious.

This is a bullet kickstart pawl and it engaged in the high gear. There is a spring under that little plunger that forces the pawl out to engage with the notches in the gear and turn the layshaft.

By Vince2
Hi, agreed, there appears to be no click click when the kickstart returns. The poser is that the kickstart has a lot of resistance just like a slipping clutch and its smooth . The bike has just been rebuilt started up ran up the road and when tried to restart the above problem occurred, hence it was turned over to me. Im thinking that there is a lack of endfloat on the layshaft which is giving the resistance and its this that allows the engine to be turned over slowly not the pawl. Anyway we'll find out when I strip the box next week. Vince
By Vince2
Hi, problem solved, a broken woodruff key and clutch slipping on tapered shaft. Luckily the keyway and shaft appear undamaged . The smoothness and drag was caused by the shaft turning in the clutch. Vince

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles