This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Al Crusader
Fitting new points to my 2002 500 Bullet kick start. So should be straight forward? " set points gap to 15 thou at the widest opening on the cam". Yes, done that. Done it before several times over the years on my 350. BUT... when the heel meets the flat part of the cam ( points close, dwell angle phase) well, the points do not close, meet!
Never experienced this before.
Had to compromise and set gap on the cam soon after the end of the points closed period.
Anyone had this, is it normal?
Seems a bit random.
Can the cam be worn?
Engine does run OK, but this is still bugging me.
Probably over thinking this as usual, but it doesn't make sense.
By Chris [Stockport]
First question "Should it be straightforward?" - Yes, I've done it a lot on my 500cc Bullets (Years 2000 and 2007).

Would it be worth putting the original ones in to see how they look? Just in case something's not right with the new ones.

Have a look on Youtube; there's videos there that may inspire you?

Good luck!
By stinkwheel
Are the points contact faces meeting square/paralell? I've had some pretty shonky ones over the years that needed a significant amount of filing to make them close properly/fully.
By Al Crusader
Two good ideas there Chris and Stinkwheel. Thanks.
The points faces do NOT line up or meet parelell. Noticed that, yes.
I will get on to our hosts about this. A lot of after market bits are shoddy now.
By stinkwheel
Al Crusader wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:43 pm
Two good ideas there Chris and Stinkwheel. Thanks.
The points faces do NOT line up or meet parelell. Noticed that, yes.
I will get on to our hosts about this. A lot of after market bits are shoddy now.
In fairness, even genuine NOS lucas points from the mid 60's don't meet up when first fitted. On anything. It's why there is such a thing as a points file. Japanese build quality has spoiled us all.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles