This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Trev
I'm sure I've seen this covered few years back but can't for the life of me find it. I use a marker pen to record mileage when I fill the tank on my Classic efi but don't always remember to bring a pen or it gets rubber off so I would like a small manual meter I could attach to the bars - anyone using one they can recommend?
I fixed a three digit luggage lock on my handlebars using a tie wrap through the hasp. I set the last three digits to match the speedo mileage when I refuel. Obviously it could be set to record the initial mileage at the beginning of any journey.

(I know my bike does 20 miles per litre so with a quick mental subtraction I know roughly how much fuel I’ve used and knowing that the tank holds 14 litres I know when to refuel).
Attachments
3654ECEF-4242-49F0-B755-E86AA602818D.jpeg
3654ECEF-4242-49F0-B755-E86AA602818D.jpeg (414.39 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
The row counter is a good idea.

I’ve also just found online advertisements for battery powered, digital tally counters, costing about £4.

The digits are advanced by pressing a button and go up to 99,999 so they could mimic the whole odometer reading.

The ones I found have a finger strap which could allow one to be fixed on the handlebars. :idea:
Good ideas. This used to drive me mad when I had my Bullet Electra and early EFI models. I seem to recall trying to fit something off a cycle with a magnet glued to the rim and something else attached to the spokes and a readout on the bars but it never worked well and I gave up and just wrote the mileage on a piece of paper in my wallet! I'm a bit OCD and like to keep an eye on fuel consumption. I now have an Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 535 with trip meters so it's no longer a problem for me luckily.
ericpode wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:56 pm
One day Wheaters' mileage will co-incide with the combination and it will fall off :D
I’ve never hit the jackpot yet…. :D

But even if it came undone, it would still hang on and I would be stopped at the petrol station anyway ;)

As an alternative I bought one of those “tally counters” I found online and it arrived this morning.
I’ve just realised that I’d have to click the button once for every mile ridden, so it’s not such a good idea after all. :oops:

Changing digits on the lock only takes a couple of seconds.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles