This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By LanesExplorer
Do you remember the days when British manufacturers, Royal Enfield among them, no doubt, gave you all the specifications you could want and more besides?
I'd really like to know the valve opening and closing timings in degrees before and after TDC with the amount of overlap between inlet and exhaust. I can't find it in the full Royal Enfield workshop manual but as it runs to well over a thousand pages it may well be in there somewhere. Many thanks in hopeful anticipation. LE.
By Daiwiskers
Look's like it's running without shell's
But I am looking at it on phone not computer so could be wrong
By Wheaters
I agree, it does look like the cams run directly in the head casting. Great for low manufacturing costs but not good when it comes to longevity and long term ownership costs. A good reason to ensure that the oil and filter are changed on a very regular basis!
By Daiwiskers
The timing chain side looks to be lacking some lubrication

It may be nothing but I would be keeping a eye open on that one

Early OHC Honda's ran cams directly in the heads without problems but every one I looked into was always flooded in oil

The Kawasaki Gpz 305 also ran cams directly in the head and was nothing but trouble due to oil starvation to the cam

Hopefully Enfield have taken the Honda way and not the Kawasaki way
By Rushour
The 650 twins and the Meteor were designed from scratch, developed and fully tested at the Bruntingthorpe centre in England by the very best designers and engineers money can buy, these guys did a great job on the twins and it is very common practice now to run cams on the alloy heads - see most Japanese bikes - and as long as you have oil there its no problem.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles