This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Pellow71
I've just fitted the RE trapezium stainless steel engine guard/crashbar to my Meteor 350 and although it looks good I'm not convinced that the design and engineering is going to be up to the job. The cast alloy bracket in the join on the top doesn't look like it could take much impact in the event of even a low speed crash and the stainless steel tubing is very thin, no more than 2mm. (I wish I had measured it before fitting). In my opinion it is only good enough in the event of dropping the bike when stationary to protect the tank etc. Perhaps this is what it was designed for. It would have been better to use a continuous steel tube on the top with a welded bracket. I have seen chrome aftermarket ones like this on the internet but as the chrome is often poor I opted for the RE one. I would be interested to hear other views.
By Pellow71
As an update on my previous post, I've just found this on ebay describing the separate mount.

"Royal Enfield 350 Meteor Engine Guard Breakaway Mount

The RE Branded Engine Guard Fixing kit consists of an Aluminum mount casting which is designed to break in the event of an impact or fall, to protect the motorcycle's main frame as this cannot be replaced. A stainless Steel forging is fixed to the rear of the casting which ensures that the Engine Guard stays in place afterwards."

I think this answers my questions about the engineering.
By Pellow71
I bought it primarily to prevent damage if I dropped it maneuvering it into my garage as I'm getting on a bit and losing upper body strength. Hopefully, that will never happen.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles