This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
The only thing I can add is to try running it on super unleaded if the bigger needle jet doesn't work
Cheers Dai
By ChrisD
Hi 2str88.
I too have a 535 (1996 model) and it has been a long journey to get it right.
Correct ignition timing – full retard at 0.8mm BTDC (not 8mm). Try Bullet Whisperer’s suggestion of retarding inlet cam one tooth – it works. Easier to set ignition using a small digital hooter across the points so you can hear when they open while you watch the TDC guage.
I use a 230 main and 106 needle jet with needle clip in position #2 (top slot is #1). Note that the pilot jet and pilot air screw are ONLY for idling as they are essentially irrelevant once you’re on the open road because the flow through there is but a very small fraction of the other jets.
Seems like you need to do some plug chops (along a constantly rising road to put the engine under load, constant throttle position (1/2, ¾. Full etc), kill engine at that throttle position after a minute or so of load and immediately pull in clutch, then stop. Immediately pull plug and check colour of centre ceramic and ground strap. If they are white, go up on main jet, if brown keep same, if black reduce jet size. Similarly if you’re in the needle jet range etc – read up on the ranges each jet effects. Read up on plug colours etc.
Good luck, it is worth it. ChrisD
What next? That'll be a 107 needle jet ;) 8 mm BTDC @ full advance is fine, you don't want anything later than that, 0.8 mm is the fully retarded figure and less important than the fully advanced one. Retarding the inlet cam, if not already done would be a good move.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles