This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
Update No. 2....

I've stripped the entire box down to the last cog! Everything seems fine, only the big bearing is a little gritty.

I would just buy the bearing overhaul kit from Hitchcocks, but I want to be sure that the bearings are the same, mine clearly isn't "indian made". From the kit I can see that the gasket is wrong, I only have 1 o-ring (on the kickstart, not two like in the photo), I don't have the tabbed washer(?)...

Anyone know what the bearings are in the Indian boxes?

My small one is a Hoffmann "115 V2" open with the mark "WVU" on it.

The big one is a SKEFKO "401524" open with the mark "WRSL" on it.

I've not been able to find much about either. My main concern is should they be C3 clearence?

Also, where do you stand on the "open" "sealed" (2RS) shieled (2Z) options?

cheers!
My usual go-to in these situations is to go into my local bearing factors trade counter and ask for "one like this". My local one gives you a lollipop if you come in with either a proper bearing number or the old one rather than a request for "A wheel bearing for a Ford".
One of the most useful items to own is a digital vernier caliper. They cost about £15 - 20 and will measure imperial and metric.

I measure up my own stuff and order from online bearing suppliers. Having said that, in deference to this forum’s host, for Royal Enfield parts, Hitchcock’s are the place to try first! ;)
Hi All,

I sent the same question to www.hoffmannbearings.info cause I was really interested in the significance of the V2 designation, and I'm still not sure if a C3 or CN clearance is required (Villiers specifiy a C3 for the gearbox supplied with the 6E engine). FYI the Hoffmann suffix "V2" relates to the cage arrangement and not to any internal clearance rating.

And this is the reply I recieved.

"The SKF 401524 is an SKF "Special" bearing.

This bearing measures 1 Inch Inside Diameter x 2.1/4 Inches Outside Diameter x 5/8 Inch Wide.
SKF Ball Bearing RLS8.2RS measures exactly the same but that is where the similarities will stop. If SKF prescribed this bearing for your application by all means you could replace it with RLS8.2RS but you would NOT be replacing like with like. Expect bearing failure very quickly if you do."

They want £36 for the "Speacial" bearing. It seems unlikely that this bearing is being provided by Hitchcocks in their bearing kit, when the whole kit is only £59. So has anyone experienced bearing failure with the kit provided, or is he being overly cautious?

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles