This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
Oil filler nut on a ?meteor? scissor clutch gearbox:

As I said before, I did try oil in my trials 350 because I really didn't want to be messing about with grease but it ran out when parked so I went back to grease. As you correctly stated, that bike does lean over a long way on the sidestand. Another factor is the gearbox sprocket I'm using on that has no o-ring.

I would argue that you can drain the grease though. It just needs to be done immediately after a run while it's hot. The 00 stuff is a semi-fluid grease and when hot is probably about as fluid as cold EP90. You can see the drain tub under the gearbox in this picture. All that came out through the drain screw:

These show the freshly cracked open, drained gearbox. I haven't wiped or scraped anything off it at this point:

There isn't much wear in the 350 gearbox and that's only its third grease change in 90k miles. I did have to replace two of the gears a while back because the dogs were chipped but I doubt that was down the the lubrication. I think that was a combination of wear and super rough machining on the shift mechanism, I had a go at the selector with a file after that happened and there's been no repeat of it. Poor metallurgy on the gears was probably a factor too.

Don't get me wrong, I would far rather use oil in it and I agree, a gearbox SHOULD have oil in it. I'd personally preferr an EP grade oil given the battering it takes. It's what's been in the gearboxes of all my old 2t bikes and they classically get subjected to extreme levels of neglect, often only getting an oil change when you have to do main bearings or crank seals. The lumpy, emulsified goop that comes out is truly disgusting. Fluid grease is equally horrible stuff to use even when new and I have EP 80-90 grade oil in the 612 which has half-sealed bearings fitted. I think the sealed bearings probably make much of the difference because that bike is parked on the sidestand too.

I do wonder if oil-filled gearboxes are less prone to the kickstart hooking up on the layshaft bushing under power too. Although that's mainly the result of another Indian bodge job using iron where there should be bronze.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles