This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By John R
There has been talk on other Social Media that Meteors are fitted with a 120kph speed limiter, which has to be removed in some countries giving a higher top speed.
Does anyone know if this is true? What would be the effect of removing it? How would one go about it? Would it be advisable?
By Rushour
From talking to one of the guys from Bruntingthorpe at the bike show - the prototypes were a lots quicker but Indian tax laws limit the bikes to 70 mph and he was annoyed that the UK bikes were not fitted with a different ECU, its not possible to de-restrict them ( well thats the official line anyway ) I'm sure a spotty youf with a laptop would find it easy peasy ...
By Adrian
This is why the older models have more appeal to some of us! Whatever a spotty youf with a lap top might achieve, I would also be wondering if a carb conversion (as with the Himalyan) is possible, including replacing the ECU with a TCI box off a late Indian home market carb-fitted UCE 500 Bullet. Might be worth looking at, at least THIS side of any anti-tampering regulations coming into force!

Or will our hosts be recruiting said spotty youf for ECU reprogramming? Maybe contact the guys at Bruntingthorpe and ask them what ECU they used for the prototypes.

This whole business of pre-production models performing better than what was shipped to the public isn't new. John Hutchings of Tollgate Classics told me he once owned an early prototype of the Electra-X that had somehow escaped India (this was long before RE India's UK tech centre). The thing positively flew compared to what Watsonian-Squire were flogging to Joe Public.

A.
By iamnotaquaman
I have a fireball with Fuel X Pro fitted, Red Rooster exhaust and the DNA intake and a changed plug cap with an ngk iridium plug in. And it goes like a rocket compared to standard and at 72-75 I'm pulling hard until that limiter kicks in and makes it lurch. The engine is easily capable of 80mph+ and so I will be keeping eyes and ears out for mods to bypass the limiter of for a spare ecu to break open. The same make of ecu on the ktp Duke uses a piggyback circuit to bypass the rev limiter and this may be possible here too
By stinkwheel
If it is genuinely speed limiter and not a rev limiter, usually all you need to do is fool the system into thinking that's not the speed it's doing. That will depend on how it works out what speed it's doing.

They had a maximum design speed limit in Japan for a while of 120mph (yeah, I know) and the system for limiting it was surprisingly primitive for such high tech bikes. My grey import VFR750 had one. There was a little plastic disc in the back of the speedo that turned with the speedo needle with a notch in it at the 120mph mark. The disc sat in the middle of an optical sensor so when the notch lined up, the sensor made a connection and the ignition dumped the spark for 2 of the 4 cylinders. Feels like hitting a brick wall (bearing in mind you still have three gears to go at 120mph on a VFR750 and are nearing peak power output so it's dropping 50+bhp in the blink of an eye).

The simple workaround for this was to undo the sensor, stick a bit of plastic in the gap and tape it up. The only very slightly more complex workaround was to remove the sensor and connect a voltage divider (2 resistors) in its place to mimic the presence of an untriggered sensor (removing the sensor altogether didn't work, it had to have a specific resistance attached).

Given there is nothing new under the sun and there is an existing and long established way of fitting speed limiters to bikes, it might be worth having a look in the back of the speedo for a notched disc or optical switch?

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles