This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By NoelS
Hi all - wondering if a Crusader owner may be able to help me out here? I'm rebuilding my '62 Crusader from an abandoned project and haven't seen it all together. I'm struggling a bit to see how the left hand toolbox cover fixing works (i.e. the side that has the ignition key protruding through it).

The captive nut for the cover fixing "wingnut" bolt is about 2.5" in from the back edge of the toolbox - see image:

But the hole in the cover is more central - about 3.5" from the back edge - see image:

I've checked the online parts list schematic and the workshop manuals I have and both the toolbox body and cover look right (i.e. for a Crusader) but I just can't work out how it goes together!

Am I missing something really fundamental here, that is going to make me look really stupid?!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Noel
Attachments
Tool Box Cover.jpg
Tool Box Cover.jpg (73.7 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
Tool Box.jpg
Tool Box.jpg (67.54 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
By NoelS
I thought that originally, but I have a spare and that is the same. Also, looking at ones for sale on EBay, they are the same as well.
Perplexing!
By Adrian
It's a bit of a kluj, but you could pop-rivet a small steel plate onto that vertical piece to give you a mounting position for another captive nut in the right position to line up with the panel screw. Don't know if that would cause access problems for what lurks in there, though.

A.
By guru
Whisper, ive just looked at my 1965 crusader sport box and it has the outer cover fixing lug, running near vertical from (use the hole on top as a mark line) if you want me send a pic let me know, ive got the box off the bike at the minute. Guru
By guru
Noel: I have attached two photos , one showing left hand side and the other showing right side, let me know if you receive them and are able to open them m8, if not i may need send another way for you. Guru
Attachments
IMG_5937.JPG
IMG_5937.JPG (2.57 MiB) Viewed 1347 times
IMG_5938.JPG
IMG_5938.JPG (2.32 MiB) Viewed 1347 times
By guru
NOEL: have just found the Crusader Spare & Replacement parts handbook on my shelf, book is a March 1957 (2nd edition) price 2/-. for the 250 Crusader Motor Cycle (front cover says "Spares Dept Only" thought you may like see pages 38/9 especially page 39. it clearly shows the vertical "u" bracket which outer panel fastens to, I would think the other side is same angle.
Attachments
002.jpg
002.jpg (3.68 MiB) Viewed 1339 times
001.jpg
001.jpg (4.04 MiB) Viewed 1339 times

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles