This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By army_eod
Been trickle charging my battery. The charger only shows amber and never goes green as in full charge.
The charger gets very hot.
So it seems the battery is not charging?
Any ideas?
By Haggis
Have you tried with the battery disconnected?
Some himmy's seem to drain their batteries.
It does sound like your battery is not holding sufficient volts to get a green light.
Which charger are you using.?
Check voltage with charger connected then again with it disconnected

if the voltage is very close test the battery voltage in an hours time if the battery voltage has stayed close to the first test the fault is probably with the charger

If the voltage has dropped considerably it's probably a fault with the battery

The battery will drain slightly if it's connected to the bike

Hope this helps Dai
By stinkwheel
I wonder if the reg/rec is trying to regulate the voltage of your charger.

If it's trying to charge at say 14.5v and the regulator is regulating to 14.3, all sorts of mayhem could occurr.

Try it with the battery disconnected to see if it'll take a full charge. If it won't, you have a fault on either the battery or the charger. If it will, there's something else at play, something about the bike. In that case, I'd try it with the battery connected but the reg/rec disconnected in the first instance.
By Noodles
stinkwheel wrote:I wonder if the reg/rec is trying to regulate the voltage of your charger.

If it's trying to charge at say 14.5v and the regulator is regulating to 14.3, all sorts of mayhem could occurr.

Try it with the battery disconnected to see if it'll take a full charge. If it won't, you have a fault on either the battery or the charger. If it will, there's something else at play, something about the bike. In that case, I'd try it with the battery connected but the reg/rec disconnected in the first instance.
The RR unit only chops and smooths the AC from the alternator down to a dumb 14V-15V. It shouldn't affect the battery at all when it's on charge unless it's faulty.
By PeteF
stinkwheel wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:57 pm
I wonder if the reg/rec is trying to regulate the voltage of your charger.

Don't think so. The rec/reg is not in circuit with the trickle charger (or shouldn't be)
By 410Rider
Andy C wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:33 pm
If it still has the OE battery it is probaby knackered.

Mine only lasted about 18 months or so.
Agree with first statement.

10 months longer than mine then (from registration).

But, the battery was getting on for 2 years old !! Something I never thought to check when I took delivery.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles