This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Wheaters
Just found the parts diagrams on the main site. I reckon it might be possible to drill lengthways into each end of the swing arm through bolt and then cross drill it in a position at each end that would open into the inside face of the needle bearings. A straight grease nipple could be fitted into each end, just as on my old Beesa. Regular greasing could then be done, which would force dirt and moisture out past the oil seals.
By Andy C
Wheaters - not sure that is "dooable" as you would also have to cross drill through the bushings that go through the bearings as well as the shaft, the problem would be getting the cross drillings to line up and stay lined up once assembled.

Might be a better option to drill through the wall of the swinging arm and into the bearing, but to do that you would have to press out the bearings and then refit.

I have put a lot of grease in the bearings, bushings, shaft and end covers / seals so hopefully it will stay well lubed and keep moisture out. I'll have to keep and eye and ear on things.

When I re assembled I made sure that I torqued up the swiinging arm spindle nut correctly - handbook says 7Kg-m or about 50FT LBs, when I undid the nut it was nothing like tight enough
By Wheaters
I see your point; tbh from the diagram I wrongly thought that the bearings ran directly on the through bolt. I can now see that what I thought was the needle bearing is the inner bush.

However, if the bush had one or two holes drilled into a groove around its outer face and the groove corresponded with the cross drilling in the through bolt, grease pumped in would flow around until it found the holes and then into the needle bearing itself. The only critical factor would be that the cross drilling in the through bolt matched the position of the groove in the bush.

What is the wall thickness of the bushes? It might be possible to modify them in the chuck of a lathe.

Alternatively, two shallower bushes could perhaps be fitted, with a narrow gap between them, instead of a grooved single bush
By Wheaters
Correction, the groove would have to be on the inner face of the bush. Or around the bolt, including the cross drilled hole, which would be easier to machine. ;)
By Andy C
Yep, cross drill and groove the swinging arm shaft, drill though the bushes woukd work.

Bushes are about 4.5mm thick with something like a 12mm hole in them for the swinging arm shaft.
By Wheaters
My wife used to own a Honda C70 “step through”. It had leading link front suspension which had a grooved and cross drilled pivot shaft on each side, so it’s nothing new. That bike frame rusted badly so I eventually bought another bike and made one good machine out of two not so good ones. Thinking about it, I might even have one of those old pivot shafts tucked away in a tin in the depths of my garage, it was about 45 years ago, though.

My concern in modifying a pivot on a “Himmy” would be that a groove might unacceptably weaken the shaft.
By Andy C
That would be my concern to, also drilling out the swinging arm pivot would weaken it.

You cant really drill out the swinging arm to put a nipple in because the needle bearing sleeve runs the entire witdh of the bearing housing, so there is no access to the bearings to get grease into them.

The bearings look to have a nylon or similar housing that they run in, but you cant really drill through that as you would drill into the bearings.

When I next have it apart (which I am sure I will at some time in the future), I'll take a closer look - there has to be some way of safely delivering grease to the bearings.

And I dont like being beaten......
By guru
Yea even me 71 bonnie had grease nipples fitted but with the addition of 4 rubber type bands over the swing arm joint (2 each side) these kept the grit out but let excess grease squirt out when using the grease gun, so you know job is done.
bike manufacture improvements often mean a step or two back, can't work that out??
By Rushour
Based on this article I stripped my 4 year old Himalayan last night - a few points : - I found the swing arm bearings and link rod bearings all roller bearings with seals either end - now - these were all in excellent condition with loads of grease present, there's no grease nipples on Japanese bikes, I've never power washed the bike - maybe my dealer did this at PDI but I doubt it or possibly later models were no so well built - onto the headstock bearings over the weekend ! But certainly no gripe from me on the quality of the bearings or design.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles