This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Jamesy
RE are replacing all brake calliper assemblys on all bikes.Received my recall letter today.Dealer told me it's due to pistons sticking when bikes are exposed to road salt.Must be costing them a few Bob.
By swiftjess
Will this only affect the Interceptor models or the Meteor also, I wonder? Road salt has always been both curse and blessing...
By PeteF
The problem is that those Brembo (ish) callipers are assembled completely dry. water gets into the seal groove and aluminium oxide forces the seal out with enough pressure to stop the piston retracting.
They could have saved a lot of money by using a smear of brake grease.
Which is what I did to cure my C5 after cleaning the seal groove out.
By the way, don't let anyone tell you you can't bleed ABS (well this system anyway) it's no problem.
By papasmurf
PeteF wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:33 am
The problem is that those Brembo (ish) callipers are assembled completely dry. water gets into the seal groove and aluminium oxide forces the seal out with enough pressure to stop the piston retracting.
They could have saved a lot of money by using a smear of brake grease.
Which is what I did to cure my C5 after cleaning the seal groove out.
By the way, don't let anyone tell you you can't bleed ABS (well this system anyway) it's no problem.
Not widely know but smear of copper slip or similar, (NOT on the face of the pads,) is a legal requirement in Britain because of the salt uses on the roads in winter.
By Haggis
I wouldn't put copperslip near any of my brakes.
There are bespoke silicone or rubber lubes made for the job and they are no more expensive.
I know lots of folk have used copperslip man and boy with no ill effects.
Just me I guess.
Maybe more modern materials are more resistant to the effects of petroleum based grease?
By rattonshaw
papasmurf wrote: Not widely know but smear of copper slip or similar, (NOT on the face of the pads,) is a legal requirement in Britain because of the salt uses on the roads in winter.
Can you supply a link or quote the UK legislation? I did a search on the internet and coudn't find anything. Brake pistons are not going to be checked for grease at the annual MoT, only braking efficiency. If that legislation exists, the manufacturer would have to implement it.

The front brake pistons on my Triumph were binding. Took the bike back to the dealer under warranty where they explained that the problem was due to salt, though, exacerbated by molasses, which are mixed in with the salt. No mention of copper slip.

As Haggis states, "There are bespoke silicone or rubber lubes made for the job" for the piston and seals. The place for copper slip is on the matching faces between the brake pad and the piston.
By RobWells119
Steve2111 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:25 am
Does this also apply to the Conti GT650? My dealer hasn't contacted me
This recall applies to both 650 Twin models, and the Himalayan. The notice came through from VOSA rather than the dealer.
As far as I'm aware, the plain calipers (rather than the ones with ByBre stamped on them) are not affected.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles