This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Wheaters
I replaced the front brake shoes of my 350 Bullet yesterday. It's a job I never like doing and having posted about this on the Midland Bullet Riders forum but thought I'd also place it here.:

The Hitchcock's brake shoe "spreader" tool (part #98320) is well worth the money! With the shoes laid flat on brake plate the "V" section (angle iron) ends fit between the shoes and winding the centre with a 17mm spanner forces them apart against the springs, so they can be very easily lifted off the pivots and cams. Refitting the new shoes is a similar doddle. Lay the shoes on a bench, fit the springs and wind out the centre of the tool. The whole assembly can then be lifted; the tool holds everything in line. Place the ends of the shoes over the posts and cams, unwind the centre and the jobs done.

No more fiddling about trying to avoid trapped fingers! Another advantage is that having greased the pivots and the bearing faces of the shoes, the lack of fiddling about means that there's far less chance of contaminating the friction surfaces.

I think it will fit other types of shoes, such as the rear brakes of my car.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycl ... hoe%20tool

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles