This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By papasmurf
RoSy wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:36 pm
You could fill up with Shell Supreme or Esso Synergy, which is the higher octane E5. I haven't used E10 in any of my bikes since it changed.
E5 seems to be disappearing from petrol stations.
By stinkwheel
papasmurf wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:24 pm

In filling stations which keep more than one grade of petrol, the higher (97 or 99) octane fuel is classified as "protection grade" and will remain as E5 for at least the next 5 years.
By papasmurf
stinkwheel wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:17 pm
papasmurf wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:24 pm

In filling stations which keep more than one grade of petrol, the higher (97 or 99) octane fuel is classified as "protection grade" and will remain as E5 for at least the next 5 years.
My wife on long trips recently has been unable to find E5 several times, our local garage only has diesel and E10
By swiftjess
Given the damage that high humidity levels cause to machinery and the moisture absorbing 'quality' of ethanol in fuel , I have attempted to reduce the problem by thick insulation on walls and roof of my motorcycle storage and workshop and have a frost heater on low. A dehumidifier would also be an option but they are rather energy hungry.
By PeteF
Just use E5 which should be fine unless the bike is stored in a very damp location.
From what I read fuel stabilisers do nothing to stop water absorption by ethanol.
By Jamesy
With all the scare mongering that's going on with climate change etc I am going to leave the bike with its brimmed E10 and see what happens come the spring.I may use it on the odd summery sunny winter's day but not a lot.Worst scenario; doesn't start and have to drain the tank.Corrosion? we will see.
By Frankie valley
Jamesy wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:48 am
Personally over a period since 2002 I have had 10 bikes I stored over the winter period with fuel in them and had no problems.I have never used stabilizer or any additives.This has been generally from November through to March/April.Now with the E10 fuel I have been thinking about using a stabilizer.(no I am not draining the tank)Problem is ,Google fuel stabilizer and a billion products come up.Anybody have any recommendations.
I'm very lucky because here in Sussex there is a family run fuel company called Power fuels. As well as selling commercial fuels, they also have about 8 petrol stations that sell 95ron E0 petrol. IE there is no ethanol in it. Good news is, its same price as normal unleaded (E10). I've never seen E0 on any other forecourts ever ! I think they get away with not adding ethanol because they are small enough that they don't have to follow the minimum biofuel regs, unlike the majors. As you can imagine, they have a loyal classic vehicle owner following.
By guru
I have a hand full of brit bikes, I fully drain the fuel out then spray a small can of wd40 into it making sure is fully coated, when I come to use it again the next time, I just put some fuel in and slosh it around to get rid of the wd40 and repeat the process one or two more times. the fuel I tip out I don't waster, i use to clean the rear chain with so nowt goes to waste, (especially as petrol is dearer than beer now) Guru

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles