This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Dave Coulson
Good day,
I may want to remove the cover from the cylinder head on a 2019 Himalayan to replace the gasket due to oil weep. See picture.

My question is : do the two circular bolts for the rocker arms have to be loosened (they are really really tight). It suggests in the tech manual that they should be loosened when disassembling but am not sure this is the case - just to remove the cover.
King regards
David
20211101_120041.jpg
20211101_120041.jpg (2.6 MiB) Viewed 3722 times
By Wheaters
Is it recommended to loosen these first simply because it’s easier together leverage on them while the head is still bolted down? Once the head is removed it would need to be supported by other means and the joint faces might get damaged in the process.
By Allanfox
Dave Coulson wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:57 pm
Good day,
I may want to remove the cover from the cylinder head on a 2019 Himalayan to replace the gasket due to oil weep. See picture.

My question is : do the two circular bolts for the rocker arms have to be loosened (they are really really tight). It suggests in the tech manual that they should be loosened when disassembling but am not sure this is the case - just to remove the cover.
King regards
David
Really not sure but are you sure it is the gasket and not the rocker shaft seal that is leaking? Looking at the bruised corners of the rocker cover and the damaged fin corner I reckon someone has had a go at it before. Maybe a good clean and run the engine to establish the source of the leak? But of course you may have already done that!
Allanfox wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:01 am
Dave Coulson wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:57 pm
Good day,

King regards
David
Really not sure but are you sure it is the gasket and not the rocker shaft seal that is leaking? Looking at the bruised corners of the rocker cover and the damaged fin corner I reckon someone has had a go at it before. Maybe a good clean and run the engine to establish the source of the leak? But of course you may have already done that!
Thanks, I have seen from a previous reply that indeed the rocker bolts do not need removing to remove the cover. The reason asked is I tried to remove cover and it wouldn't budge and wasn't sure if this was because of the rocker bolts. Hence damage to fin when tapped it too hard.
Before I tried anything I can see the oil is seeping very slowly from two bolts holdinng either side of the cover.
Maybe the bolts just need retorqueing .

I'll clean and tighten everything up and inspect again before trying to remove again.

Will put an update on this post when done

Thanks for the advice
By RocketRR
Remember to make sure when replacing the rocker cover assy make sure the rocker shafts are correctly aligned or the bolts will not pass thru.
The only way to get the rocker end caps out is lots of heat and then they still might fracture but new ones are cheap.
I had to remove mine as the cam followers and tappet adjusters on my Himmy were really worn after only 3000 miles. The tappet adjusters are soft as poop...
Thanks for the advice.. that confirms exactly what I experienced ,couldn't budge the caps with an allen key alone. But it looks like I wouldn't need to remove them just to remove the head cover , in this case.

I have tightened the head bolts a bit more and the weeping seems to have stopped. I will keep the spare seal in case need to remove cover for other reasons.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles