This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
Adrian wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:37 pm
Another alternative is to replace your 60/55W H4 with a 36/36W H4 bulb! :idea:
:D great idea, I had thought of that, did try looking for an h4 fitting lower wattage but couldn't find it. However just found a h4 12v 35/35w for scooters, gonna give it a go, anything if it improves things, thanks for the heads up. 👍
Adrian wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:37 pm
Not wishing to pee on your campfire, but just to point out that replacing an OEM H4 Halogen on post-1985 bikes with the LED equivalent is an MOT failure - I'm assuming you're in the UK, if not check your local regulations.
No longer the case, they backed down on it. providing your LED bulb complies with all the beam pattern, colour and direction rules that a conventional bulb would, it's ok.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... onversions
Yep, they originally banned HID and led conversions to a halogen light unit but backed off, as long as the beam pattern met the requirements.
There are good led out there but there are also some really bad ones.
Stinkwheels recommendation is a better guide to what works.
Ps, this will not fix your missing volts. Your 535 has the same alternator as all the other 500 uce bikes and has a very healthy output under normal circumstances, unless you have an older style 535?
4.1.4 Headlamps - Compliance with requirements - Removed 'Some motorcycles may be fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) headlamps. Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID or LED bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.'

4.1.4 Headlamps - Compliance with requirements - Defect removed '(c) Light source and lamp not compatible'
Morning, I haven't forgot about the thread, been longer term testing. So the 35w bulb in, much better, not getting half as much problems, been over two weeks and hasn't missed a beat. Honestly I'm not fully sure what I've done, but with all the small changes I'm getting a half decent reliable bike, new lead, plug cap, booster plug, lower wattage bulb, oil, air filter, just must all add up. Now I'm getting on the bike confidently, concentrating on riding rather than when it's going to cut out, many thanks to all the posts.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles