This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
Hi, I have a major meltdown here. Is this gearbox fit for purpose???? Would love some feedback. 2003 500 Bullet kick start. I have fitted an aftermarket 4 speed gearbox. Spannering/fitting went OK. Fitting clutch centre discovered end-float on the main shaft. Not right. Went to other end and found the left hand thread nut only finger tight and locking washer unused. Easy to tighten, lock and remove end float, but worrying. Also found inner case screws not tight allowing grease to seep out already. Minor thing maybe but also not good. Then, back to fitting clutch centre, the nut supplied very tight as if not matching shaft thread accurately. Did go on but left pairing of metal off nut!
BUT THING BIG THING; the back of the clutch centre is rubbing on the four screw heads that hold the oil seal on. How can this be???
After a lot of tea drinking and head scratching concluded the shaft must be too short, only by millimetres. There is obviously not much space there normally. It was never touching before.
Combined with the other anomalies, am I right in thinking I have a major problem here??

Any help offered gratefully received. Thanks.
'Aftermarket' gearbox you say? - Sounds like it has been slapped together by a total novice to me. I don't take chances on gearboxes, a lockup could result in injury or even death. Whoever put it together needs it thrown at them!
By Adrian
The pre-EFI Bullets still have their following in India, and while spares have been plentiful, genuine factory/OEM parts are going to be a dwindling resource. New 4 speed boxes are still available on eBay, but who made them? The last of the old-style 350s were built in 2010, with Indian legislation only requiring a manufacturer to provide spares support for seven years after any model is discontinued. Pattern parts may or may not be up to the job.

I'm assuming our hosts' stash of new gearboxes are factoryOEM.

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles