This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By singleminded
I have come across most of the engine from a 1954 Meteor. One significant part missing is the dynamo/distributor. Does anyone know where I can find one? Our hosts don't have any.

As an alternative, would a later (alternator) crankshaft fit? That would take care of the generating bit and I could fit a modern electronic ignition. (I realise I would need the later chaincase too.)
By singleminded
That looks like it may not fit as it is, but it could be a possibility, if modified sufficiently. It appears to be designed for a mag to be on top/in line with the dynamo. The Meteor should have a horizontal dynamo with the distributor pointing upwards, gear driven by the dynamo.

It may still be easier to use a later crankshaft.....I wonder if anyone has fitted an alternator crankshaft in early Meteor crankcases....
By Meteorstorm
There's a paper written by a former US distributor regarding fitting a SM crankshaft into a Meteor
crankcase,requires conrods with a different part number from the originals.All fits easily into Meteor
crankcases.I have that setup,but use the dynamo dist as original.
Best bet and cheaper option though is start a search,there's guys with those dynamos,you just have to track them down.
By Adrian
singleminded wrote:That looks like it may not fit as it is, but it could be a possibility, if modified sufficiently. It appears to be designed for a mag to be on top/in line with the dynamo. The Meteor should have a horizontal dynamo with the distributor pointing upwards, gear driven by the dynamo.

It may still be easier to use a later crankshaft.....I wonder if anyone has fitted an alternator crankshaft in early Meteor crankcases....
What I posted was a link to a replacement magdyno BOTTOM half (the magneto bit), the dynamo sits ON TOP. If you look at our hosts on-line parts book for the 1955 Meteor (only one year later) it shows a twin-cylinder magdyno instead of the dynamo/distributor.

https://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/p ... pages/3165

A.
By singleminded
Meteorstorm wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:30 pm
There's a paper written by a former US distributor regarding fitting a SM crankshaft into a Meteor
crankcase,requires conrods with a different part number from the originals.All fits easily into Meteor
crankcases.I have that setup,but use the dynamo dist as original.
Best bet and cheaper option though is start a search,there's guys with those dynamos,you just have to track them down.
Thanks for the confirmation that the later crankshaft (and rods) will fit. You're right, though that the easiest way is to fit an original dynamo/distributor. Does anyone on here have one??
By singleminded
Adrian wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:56 pm
singleminded wrote:That looks like it may not fit as it is, but it could be a possibility, if modified sufficiently. It appears to be designed for a mag to be on top/in line with the dynamo. The Meteor should have a horizontal dynamo with the distributor pointing upwards, gear driven by the dynamo.

What I posted was a link to a replacement magdyno BOTTOM half (the magneto bit), the dynamo sits ON TOP. If you look at our hosts on-line parts book for the 1955 Meteor (only one year later) it shows a twin-cylinder magdyno instead of the dynamo/distributor.

https://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/p ... pages/3165

A.
Thanks for that link, Adrian. I hadn't realised that the '55 used a magdyno.
That opens up further possibilities.

Does anyone here have a magdyno they wish to part with???

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles