This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Rex Piekarczyk
Does anyone here know the correct Mikuni carb part number that would be a direct replacement for a 2000 Bullet 500 Military? I know it's a VM28 with spigots on both ends, but I'm seeing VM28-49 listings. Are there other dash numbers? I also see forum posts where a VM28 is ordered only to arrive with a fuel inlet, mixture screw, choke lever in the wrong location.
By Adrian
Our hosts used to sell VM30 Mikuni carbs as part of a full kit - these seem to be out of stock, thought they still have them in 32mm, which is a bit bigger than the 28mm you're after. I don't think they've ever sold original VM28s, only the Mikarb version, and if you look on the carb pages of the catalogue they have the jets for tuning these.

Where do you live?

If you're in the UK Allens Performance or Motocarb could help, if you're in the USA try Sudco who, I believe, developed the kit mentioned above, or Niche Cycle. In Europe try Bihr in France or www.mikuni-europe.eu

A.
By Rex Piekarczyk
Adrian,

Thanks for the advice, I'm in the US an hour south of Chicago so I'll work with Niche or Sudco. This Micarb/Mikuni world is a bit confusing. I see "genuine" Mikuni VM28-49 carbs for sale from various vendors, but there is no listing at the actual Mikuni site for a VM28. The list goes from 24 to 26 to 30.

I'm trying to find a source for common supplies such as the carb spigot boots and just a simple carb rebuild kit for this bike without much success.
By Adrian
Genuine Mikuni VM28s were out of production for a while as the original dies were worn out. Whether they had new ones made or modified VM26s for more recent models I don't know.

ISTRC that the 500 inlet tract on the Indian Bullet is a little bigger than 28mm, so a complete 30mm Sudco kit is probably what you need. Quite a few American Bulleteers have used the Mikuni TM32 flat slide carb successfully when jetted appropriately.

A.
By Adrian
Maybe when he has actually found one!VM28-49 seems to be the generic part number for the newly manufactured ones, but the default jetting from the factory may or may not be best for the Bullet. These are the settings for the Mikarb with freer flowing exhaust and air filter, so an original Mikuni shouldn't be too far off with these.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycl ... ttor-parts

A.
By Rex Piekarczyk
Thanks for all the help & info. Is replacing the Micarb with 30mm round Mikuni worth the expense for a Bullet with stock air filter and exhaust? Whatever gets installed needs to fit between the engine and military airbox.
By Adrian
It depends: is your existing Mikarb in good condition or is it worn out? Does it run OK? If you're keeping the inlet and exhaust components stock, either the existing carb or a like-for-like replacement may be better - certainly cheaper. If you still want the genuine Mikuni, the supplier ought to be able to tell you the physical dimensions, if they're not already posted on their web site.

A.
By Rex Piekarczyk
Carb isn't worn out, but I have read advice from other users indication the genuine Mikuni unit is less troublesome. I'm also having difficulty finding easily accessible Micarb supplies such as O-rings, gaskets ect here in t he US. The rebuild kits are listed in referenced to the motorcycle brand and model, but no listing for Enfield. One of the Kawasaki/Yamaha kits is probably the right one but I have no way of knowing.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles