This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Adrian
I'm not sure about the width of the Electra stand compared to other Bullet stands, but they were definitely longer to allow for the Electra-X's longer shock absorbers.

A.
By Wheaters
I took the centre stand off my bike, to improve ground clearance for a Classic Trial (about 200 miles on road and fifteen or so off-road sections to complete whilst keeping to a given time).

I did one off-road section and got a rear wheel puncture on the top of the next hill in the process. I couldn't get enough clearance to get the back wheel out to change the tube. End of trial and cue a five hour wait for the RAC recovery! :oops:

Two lessons learned: 1) Leave the centre stand on. 2). Don't do competitive off-road trials.
By stinkwheel
I generally just undo a couple of bolts and pivot the rear subframe up to get the wheel out. Maybe not possible with your trials setup?
By Wheaters
I still have a full size rack on the bike; to lift the rear mudguard involves removing that. With the centre stand back on again it's easy - my bike is a Bullet Electra and it had the later long shocks. I replaced them with shorter/softer ones which gives me a bit more clearance under the back wheel.
By stinkwheel
Does make me wonder. If you whipped the tank off, how much harm a bullet would take from being laid on its side for half an hour. If so, which side? I suppose there'd be a risk of oil running into the crankcase if it's one with the breather hole between the oil tank and crankcase but a few kicks and a while on idle would clear it like it would when they wet sump
By Wheaters
If you lay a bike down, the battery can dump its acid. My old BSA fell over on my in laws drive while I was away for a week (sidestand dug through tarmac in very hot weather). When I came back the acid had eaten away the base of the battery carrier!
By stinkwheel
But not a problem with an AGM battery.

I was just remembering how some of the 2t trails guys didn't even hane a stand and used to lay their bikes down with them running.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles