This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Allanfox
I seem to be scraping my centre stand on just about every corner, whilst fun I am starting to wonder if it is too low and not just due to my cornering abilities (probably low!) Does this look right (500 AVL Electra X), really can't see anything obviously wrong but also no way of making it higher other than taking the rubber pad off, or is it just me? TIA
Attachments
cente stand.jpg
cente stand.jpg (766.96 KiB) Viewed 1428 times
By Allanfox
You would think so but it seems 'up' as far as it goes, might be nothing but just looks low and too easy to ground.

P.S. bike finally running ok and had a few trouble free miles, famous last words! :-)
By papasmurf
Allanfox wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:44 pm
You would think so but it seems 'up' as far as it goes, might be nothing but just looks low and too easy to ground.

P.S. bike finally running ok and had a few trouble free miles, famous last words! :-)
Grind some material off of the stop.
By Allanfox
a possibility but would need quite a bit off to make a notable difference, maybe just wear it down on corners!
By papasmurf
Allanfox wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:40 pm
a possibility but would need quite a bit off to make a notable difference, maybe just wear it down on corners!
Not as much as you think.
By Adrian
Mine used to do this - you can always grind a bevel on the area that grounds if it bothers you.

A.
By Trev
Mine also used to scrape at not silly cornering speeds, I just too kit off and just mount it temporarily (only slid in shaft, don't bother with the spring) on the odd occasion I need to get the wheel off the ground.
By stinkwheel
As above, a small adjustment to the stop makes a large difference to the height the stand sits at.

Also as above, I took mine off and just slot it in in the workshop for when I want the wheels off the ground.

There are other ways of lifting a wheel "in the field" if you need to in an emergency. The trials guys carry a camlock strap, park the bike near a tree/post with the sidestand nearest the post then use the strap round the post to pull the bike over onto the sidestand towards the post by attaching it to the rear subrframe or handlebar on full lock for rear and front wheels respectively. If you get the distance just right, the saddle will rest against the post with the wheel in the air.
By Allanfox
Thanks Guys, good ideas all, actually taking it off isn't a bad idea!

I measured the stand on my 350 iron barrel and 370mm across the bottom, the AVL stand is already 290mm with any sticky out bit removed so it is level with the main stand frame, so maybe already chopped down or a factory attempt at improving ground clearance! :-)

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles