This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By guru
Any one know why my EV Himy head lamp has two bulbs fitted?, 1: main bulb is for dip / full bean 2: the smaller bulb that's located below the main light, which I thought would be as a daytime running light. Either my bike wired up wrong or Enfield has it wrong? When the ignition is turned on the lower bulb lights up (engine not started at this point), when the bike is started up both bulbs light up (main / lower bulb) with no option to switch to a daytime running light only. If the main bulb is working all the time what is the purpose of the smaller bulb as its not doing owt apart from supporting the mail light, If Enfield feel extra an light is required why not put a bigger bulb in there, I thought it may be as a parking light but take the key out (as you would when parking up) and everything is off. Is there a secret switch i don't know about ????
By Wheaters
I think I read recently that all recent new motorcycles have to be wired so the headlight is on at all times. My 1991 Honda is like this; it doesn’t even have a lighting switch, only a dip/main switch.
I'd imagine it's to comply with the "lights on all the time" requirement but to reduce current draw for starting. If the main headlamp isn't on, that's another 4.5A of cranking amps available to the starter motor.

Or they had a parts bin full of sealed beam units with two bulb fittings to use up.
By guru
Stinkwheel: i get it about day time running lights, but what part is the small lower bulb playing? I would have thought that the small bulb itself would have been the day time light, seems like is power being used for no real reason while the main bulb is used for both day time and night time lighting, Would make sense have the smaller bulb - day time running and main bulb as the normal lights dip / full beam as used on way home from the pub.
Is there even a switch? I'd have thought most bikes don't have one now, they're all lights on all the time. The small bulb is just so it's not drawing that extra wattage at starting when the engine isn't running. Lets you get the same cranking amps with a smaller battery. The rest of the time, it's redundant.

When it's running, it doesn't really make much difference if it's on or off.
Late reply I know

But is it it for a parking light??

Starter I would have thought would turn off lights to give power for starting

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles