This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Nettshubby
Hi all, back in the fold again after a long absence!
Recently bought a 500 Bullet, registered as 2007 but is more likely 2003/4, electric start, 4 speed gears and TLS front brake.
Electric starting is very hit and miss, I have cleaned the solenoid terminals but all I get on pressing the start button is a soft click from it.
The battery is fully charged and was told it’s a new one.
However if I “short” out the terminals the starter operates, also if I just lightly tap the solenoid it operates.
Sounds like either it’s sticking, or the power to the low tension side is low.
Is it possible to dismantle the solenoid to “unstick it”, or is it permanently sealed?
Attachments
11C4A8DF-2ACE-47C4-94E9-EB0D7735719E.png
11C4A8DF-2ACE-47C4-94E9-EB0D7735719E.png (6.73 MiB) Viewed 836 times
By Andy C
Welcome back - I would say it is easier just to buy a replacement solenoid.

I have a feeling they can be dismantled but given the cost a new one would give peace of mind.

It would be worth double checking all the wiring to the solenoid.
By Nettshubby
Hi, thanks for your reply. It seems I was not pulling the clutch lever in to start, I don’t know if that is necessary but it works!
But now I have a lack of sparks! That is not my favourite job!
I find the bike is fitted with a Eureka electronic ignition unit and I want to get hold of a wiring/ fitting instructions sheet.
I have read that it is a factory fitted unit.
By Andy C
It looks like our hosts stock eureka ignition under Part No PART No. 145770 - could try asking them if they could send you a copy of the fitting instructions.

Good to hear that you solved the solenoid problem.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles