This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By knapdog
I have ordered a new Rec/reg from Hitchcocks for my 2018 Classic 500 and it could well be with me tomorrow. I have no idea whether the original is kaput but I'm changing it as a precaution anyway as my battery went dead after a 25 mile run. Had to call Breakdown to get me home.
Today I thought I'd remove the original but I can't find it. I have no idea where it is. It certainly isn't under the seat as far as I can see.
Could someone send me a pic locating this elusive part please?
By GBT
It's located behind the electrical box (toolbox) on the left-hand side of the bike. There are two bolts attaching it to the back of the electrical box, and I believe you have to unbolt the electrical box from the frame and pull it clear in order to gain access to the regulator/rectifier. Mine is a 2020 Classic C5 Euro IV, so probably the same. I will go and have a look later just to confirm.
By knapdog
Just had a look and just found it.
Now I know the extremely hot weather has got to me meaning I can't be armed to do much but how do I get to it?
I've started to undo fastenings on the tool/electrics box but although it's waggling a bit I can't pull it free.
If I have to take the back wheel off right now I'll stick with the broken one that's on there and that's that :lol:
By GBT
The Haynes manual describes the procedure:
‘Open the electrical box with the key. Unscrew the box bolts, displacing components as required, and displace the box. Disconnect the regulator/rectifier wiring connectors, then unscrew the bolts and remove the regulator/rectifier.”
There’s no mention of rear wheel removal, and the photo in the Haynes manual shows the wheel still fitted.
Sounds fairly straightforward, doesn’t it, but it’s probably a bit fiddly having to free off all the components inside the box before you can pull it away far enough to remove the reg/rec unit. Sorry I haven’t done it myself, so I can’t really help you much more.
Best left until the weather cools down a bit I should think.
By Haggis
Don't understand why you would buy a new R/R without testing the old one first.
You may just have a dead or faulty battery, very common.
By knapdog
Haggis wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:44 pm
Don't understand why you would buy a new R/R without testing the old one first.
You may just have a dead or faulty battery, very common.
A sensible reply but I don't have a multimeter with a Diode tester and although I can borrow one from a pal I wanted a result sooner rather than later.
I shall still get it tested and if it is OK then I'll have a spare.
To be honest, with my three week Spain trip cancelled this summer I've saved a shed load so another reg/rec is neither here nor there.
Thanks for your help.
By Haggis
Are going to change the battery as well?
Be a shame to cook your new R/R with a dodgy battery?👍
You can test your old r/ r with any meter with an ohms or resistance setting.
By knapdog
Haggis wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:49 am
Are going to change the battery as well?
Be a shame to cook your new R/R with a dodgy battery?👍
You can test your old r/ r with any meter with an ohms or resistance setting.
Thanks, Haggis. I've already changed the battery to a Varta.
Didn't realise that with the multimeter. The youtube vids I've followed used the Diode setting.
Thanks again.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles