This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
What a bugger of a job it is to remove the seat. The 7/16 bolts under the guards are very difficult to get at ( especially the rear ones) and there are no captive nuts to help things along. Today one battery holder rod shorted out on the positive terminal as I put on the cover ( another awkward job) and melted some wires. I needed to remove the seat to check things out. Needed a Flexi socket extension to have any chance of undoing the underseat bolts. I'm making some changes to sort it out.
You do not have to remove the seat via the 4 bolts; one is merely required to loosen the 2 top rear shock mount bolts, disconnect rear light loom, & the whole seat frame assembly complete with rear mudguard will detach by pulling rearwards. The breather hose remains and must be rerouted on reassembly. The four seat bolts should thread into captive nuts within the seat pan, so not sure what arrangement you are working with. I dispense with the battery cover on Ia's, they are a pain to fit & look cheap. Better to have exposed but easy access to the battery.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles