This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By REC5
Hi,

My local dealer is having problems getting parts for my Classic 500's 1st 300 mile service. Can anyone confirm is it a requirement to have the first service done at a dealer to maintain warranty or does the European ruling still apply that if a competent person etc carries out service the warranty is maintained.

thanks
As above. What kind of approved dealer doesn't keep the necessary inexpensive consumables for a first service ? Check to see if our host has the parts, if available tell the dealer you can supply the genuine parts, and will they carry out the service.
By PeteF
Warranty is not effected if a competent person does the service.
This could be the owner but it might be difficult to prove your competence.
Certainly anyone running a business as a mechanic would qualify.
By Jamesy
I paid for a cylinder head gasket from our hosts which was ok"d with motogb and the dealer to fit as the warranty part was still on back order from India after 3months last year.Factory at Chenai was closed due to covid.
By Jamesy
It goes a long way in the resale of a bike if it has stamped dealer service history.Cant understand how a dealer doesnt have oil or an oil filter.It may be that warranty parts must be supplied by enfield importers motogb.There may lie the problem although your dealer should have told you this.
For most of my working life I ran a business repairing/selling engines in the construction industry. If I'd behaved like most authorised bike dealers, I wouldn't have lasted a month. There is no excuse for not having fast moving consumables in stock. It's not just RE either .

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles