This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Andy C
My Him has been making an odd noise from the front end for some time now - one of those noises you just cant pin down.

Out for a ride this evening and there felt to be some odd vibration comming through the bars, when I got home I popped the caliper off, and yes the bearings have become notchy but cant feel any sideways movement, either way the bearings are shot.

Very dissapointing as only 6500 miles on the bike. Comming up 2 years old next month but cant arsed to chase the warranty, I'll just fit some new ones myself given the cost.

Also noticed that the EBC pads that I fitted about 1500 miles ago are just about shot
By Haggis
Worth checking the bearing spacer length when you have it out.
Too short and you will be side loading the bearings.
Compare it to the distance you have between the bearing seats.
Surprised you've managed to wear out a set of ebc in such a short mileage.
1500?
Your caliper may be partially seized.
By Andy C
Haggis.

Took the caliper off to take a look today - no signs of any seizure, I still have the OE pads so they will be going back in.

When I take the wheel out I will check the spacer, Ill also see if there is any axial movement that might have contributed to the pads wearing out, there is only about 1.5mm of pad left !!
By Andy C
Took it apart, the bearing on the brake side was extremly notchy, and if you turn it in the opposite way to the direction of the wheel it jams.

I prized off the oil seals and the bearing was not dry, in fact quite the opposite, balls and cage looked intact, but the action was really rough / notchy and there was about 1mm axial play.

It just looks like a duff bearing, the one on the opposite side was as good as new - checked the bearing spacer approx 0.5 smaller than the gap between the bearings

As luck would have it, I had a suitable sealed SKF version in my box of bearings which has now been fitted.

About an hour of effort and job done.

I took a close look at the caliper and cant see any signs of seizure / sticking, given that the EBC pads are completley worn down I wondered if perhaps they had been sticking and the heat had melted the grease in the bearings causing it to fail.

Anyway I'll keep an eye on things.

Might even send the bearing to the dealer asking him to make a warranty claim........if I can be bothered.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles