This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Rodders
Hi, on my 1955 500 Twin, I have the original stand on which I have had added the hardened tips to counter the wear. However the rear wheel still does not clear the ground when the bike is on the stand. I have the fully enclosed Hagon shock absorbers fitted. I'm wondering whether if I adjusted these it would lift the suspension. Any ideas?
Thanks, Rod
By Wheaters
The only thing that will raise the back wheel is shorter shocks (as in shorter fully extended length) or a taller stand. When you lift the weight off the back wheel the shocks will fully extend. The adjustment on most bike shocks is for spring pre-load, or possibly on more sophisticated types, the damping rate via a valve. Neither affect the extended length.

[Unless you have some unusual type of shocks, such as on some car coil-overs which do have an adjustable spring platform height. These normally have separate, threaded outer and inner tubes, which can be screwed in or out and locked with a collar].

I use a pair of 4" x 4" wooden fence post caps to raise my bike when needed. I put one by each foot of the stand and using the handlebars, rock the bike away while pushing the fence post cap under the stand with my foot. Then go round the other side of the bike and put the other post cap under that one.

Like these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223164184469 ... %3A2334524

The caps can be carried in my rear carrier and weigh not much.
By Haggis
Have you stayed with the standard size tyres?
Wider tyres will have a taller sidewall and may not clear the ground when on the stand.
I use a 4.00 tyre rather than a 110 or 120 and it only just clears the ground.
By vince
Hi, Your'll probably find the stand pivot holes are worn oval and the stand is no longer in the correct position. Vince.
By Adrian
I have the original stand on which I have had added the hardened tips to counter the wear.
Looks like Rodders has already thought of that, Pete F!

A.
By Davedup
On my Crusader the original stand was worn on the aluminium casting so that it went back further than it should do hence lowering the bike. Difficult to explain but if the same, there's two what looks like lugs nearly an inch across and my old one had grooves cut into it probably by someone sitting on the bike when it was on the stand.
Good luck!
By stinkwheel
I know the stand itself is different but the problem on the Indian ones is mainly that the bump-stops on the stand/engine mounting get worn. This means the stand is too far past vertical when viewed from side-on with the bike on it and therefore lower down (and a PITA to get back off the stand again once it's up there).

I built mine up by welding extra material to the stops then ground it back until the stand was only just past vertical when deployed. A very small amount of material makes a big difference to the angle of the stand.

Ovalled holes were another issue. You'll have a screw-in pivot so if the holes are ovalled, an old trick was to fit an appropriate size plumbing olive either side of the plate which centres in the ovalled hole.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles