This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Andy C
After 5600 miles the original Pirelli MT60 is worn out.

As I only ride on the road I am wondering what the best choice of tyre would be Pirelli MT90 is less "blocky" than the MT60 and more suited to road use, I was also recommended Avon Trial Rider tyre as a possible alternative.

Anyone any real world recommendations?
By Andy C
Decided to give the Avon Trail Riders a go - they are 90 / 10 on road / off road accoring to Avon, also read a few reviews and they seem good.

I have Avons on my other bikes so why not I thought.
By Jon Hill
I have just changed my rear at only 3800 miles as I am about to embark on a lengthy tour. There were 2.6 mm tread depth left and I didn't want to change the tyre mid-trip; it's much easier doing the job at home! How much tread was left after 5600 miles?
By Noodles
Funny thing with Tyres, Even If you only do 2% off road, you still want knobblies vs road tyres, because nothing sucks harder than spinning a pair of slicks for 5 miles on a wet track.
By Andy C
Jon Hill wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:19 pm
...........How much tread was left after 5600 miles?
Just about legal according to the TWI marks, probably borderline to be honest.
By stinkwheel
Noodles wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:03 pm
Funny thing with Tyres, Even If you only do 2% off road, you still want knobblies vs road tyres, because nothing sucks harder than spinning a pair of slicks for 5 miles on a wet track.
Speaking as someone who fairly regularly takes a 100bhp, 1/4 tonne Japanese sportsbike along dirt tracks in order to reach informal campsites at the end of a long road ride. You'd be surprised how much grip modern road tyres have. It's all about the compound. Until you reach a point where the compound isn't touching anything but mud or wet grass, then you're in trouble.

The old safety mileage tyres found on many iron barrel bullets have loads of grip on dirt roads too.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles