This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By jawa-enfield
2 years ago i replaced the steering head bearings (races? The balls and the beds) of the steering head, adjusted it, went for a ride and re-adjusted them..
Last week, it felt when decellerating at low speed as if the front tire was flat.. checked the steering head for play again and hey! there was a little play again!

Happy i found the cause (was already thinking, could it be the K44 front tire which has quite some mileage?) i re-adjusted it.
No play and you can rotate the front wheel with your pinky, no 'heavy spots'.

But now at 40-60km/h it sometimes feels like it has a flat tyre of the head is 'locked'?
It feels very scary.

It is not the first time i replaced stering head berings from a motorcyle and bnever had any trouble with it..

What could i have done wrong?
I cannot feel any play in the rear swingarm, all wheel bearings feel okay..
By stinkwheel
Check the rear of the bike. As a general rule, if something feels odd at the front, it's a problem with the rear and vice-versa.

Swingarm bolt tight? No play in the bushings? Rear tyre pressure, wheel bearings, wheel alignment etc. etc.
By Wheaters
The wiring bundle on these bikes from the frame to the headlight is quite bulky and can case a slight restriction from lock to lock. My bike’s wiring has a right angled bend where it enters the casquette. That can feel like an issue with the steering head bearings. As mine does…. Because I was concerned about this causing wear on the insulation, I’ve put some spiral protection wrap around the bundle and just live with it.
By jawa-enfield
stinkwheel wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:49 am
Check the rear of the bike. As a general rule, if something feels odd at the front, it's a problem with the rear and vice-versa.

Swingarm bolt tight? No play in the bushings? Rear tyre pressure, wheel bearings, wheel alignment etc. etc.
As i mentioned(?), i cannot feel any play in the swingarm, and wheel bearings (not original) are okay...
The bike has run almost 100.000 km's

Adjsuting the play in the steering head gives the same problem at a different speed..
By singleminded
Worn forks? Loose stanchion clamping bolts (in bottom yoke?) Are you sure that the wheel bearings are good? 100,000 km on original Indian bearings is remarkable..... :o
By singleminded
Also, you say 'was already thinking, could it be the K44 front tire which has quite some mileage?'

Yes, it could be the tyre.
By singleminded
singleminded wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:07 am
Also, you say 'was already thinking, could it be the K44 front tire which has quite some mileage?'

I can't find how to edit my previous post, so:
How old is the front tyre. There should be a four digit date code on the sidewall. (week no./year)
By jawa-enfield
singleminded wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:12 am
singleminded wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:07 am

I can't find how to edit my previous post, so:
How old is the front tyre. There should be a four digit date code on the sidewall. (week no./year)
it is 4 year, about 30.000km
By jawa-enfield
singleminded wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:47 am
Worn forks? Loose stanchion clamping bolts (in bottom yoke?) Are you sure that the wheel bearings are good? 100,000 km on original Indian bearings is remarkable..... :o
Fork legs (3rd set) are okay, bottom yoke bolts also.
The original wheel bearings ar replaced as soon as i had the bike.
Beside suspicious quality they are 'open' and have a lot of grease..
What will happen with that grease on a hot day when you brake a lot (f.i. in the mountains)?
I was afraid they might 'lubricate'the drum/linings..
By stinkwheel
Open bearings are standard and have a seal consisting of a dished "retainer" washer with a felt washer over it on the front hub and a more conventional sprung plastic grease seal on the rear hub.

Did you check the bearing in the rear sprocket?

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles