This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Pict
Oil is getting in to the outer cover, then having gotten that far is obviously just dripping out. I can only guess along the kickstart shaft as it doesn’t leak sitting on the side stand. Suspecting a worn o-ring I’ve pulled it apart for a look and unfortunately there is scoring in the gearbox cover itself where the shaft passes through so oil will always get past the o-ring via the scores. I guess that I’m just getting this now as I did the sealed bearing conversion and am using only oil in the gear box. The grease/oil mix couldn’t have been so prone to finding a way out.

Has anyone had success with sleeveing the gearbox cover to create a fresh sealing surface?
Or give the scores a skiff of JB Weld or similar? Might be tricky to dress it back.
Or go back to grease in the gearbox!
By PeteF
No problem putting in a sleeve (and even a seal) IF you have the equipment.
A lathe and mill would be necessary I think, or you just might manage with a lathe and a pillar drill.
I don't think daubing something in the scores would last long.
By Beezabryan
My old heap of **** has been seeping gearbox oil into the outer cover for years.
Just sealed the joint with silicone snot and once in a while I will open it up to clear out the weepings.
By Rushour
There should be no oil or grease in the outer cover at all, never had much luck trying to run these on oil - drain the oil out and try it on grease - probably find it will be ok.
By Beezabryan
Quite right Rushour but beggared if I will spend valuable riding time doing a proper job when a bodge will do just as well.
Maybe have a look if the K/s pawl quits, last time was 1998 so it may be a while!

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles