This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By RocketRR
Look at the camshaft kit on our hosts site clearly shows 20% increase which for something this simple I think is good value. 16 sprocket as well for easier miles
By Noodles
Duke of Wybourne. wrote:I'd get your bike on the dyno, before and after. Let us know how you get on, dyno run print outs etc. It will be interesting to see where this extra power is made.
Too late for that now, halfway into my 300 mile break-in.
PeteF wrote:Changing the cam will not do much without tuning the head/increasing compression etc, etc.
You can't compare a this bike with a Honda or whatever - different animal altogether.
Depends where the bottlenecks in the path are, and if they were added deliberately to get through emissions. I think the graphs on the TEC and Hitchcocks camshafts prove that the stock one isn't optimised for power, so I can only assume it's optimized for emmisssions/efficiency.

It's interesting Hitchcocks have identified the filter plate as another bottleneck.
By Noodles
guru wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:25 am
Noodles, when you fit one, let us know your results and thoughts (ie was it worth it) pros v cons. Thanks, Guru
Well broken in now.

Blasted down to Wales and back today.

The slow break in has softened the impact of the change to me.

Town riding I can't really notice a difference.

But something I did notice.
Before it could hold 70 up hill and maxed out at 80 on the flat and couldn't hold that up an incline. I remember doing an overtake down hill and getting passed again as the speed dropped off.

Now on the motorways, it will now hold 80 up hill, and crucially has enough grunt to do a safe overtake if someone is doing 68. On the flat it will hit 85 and bounce of a limiter. I did the same hill today and accelerated up it for an overtake.

I'm planning on doing a test ride on a stock one this weekend to do a side by side comparison.

So, to summarise, it's not going to blow you away, but there are tangible benefits if you do highway speeds. I paid £200 for the cam + £100 for fitting and I don't regret it.

I've not had any trouble starting, but I can hear the starter motor working harder to turn the engine over. If you have the weak stock battery you might have issues.
By Trev
Noodles wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:06 pm
guru wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:25 am
Noodles, when you fit one, let us know your results and thoughts (ie was it worth it) pros v cons. Thanks, Guru
Well broken in now.

Blasted down to Wales and back today.

The slow break in has softened the impact of the change to me.

Town riding I can't really notice a difference.

But something I did notice.
Before it could hold 70 up hill and maxed out at 80 on the flat and couldn't hold that up an incline. I remember doing an overtake down hill and getting passed again as the speed dropped off.

Now on the motorways, it will now hold 80 up hill, and crucially has enough grunt to do a safe overtake if someone is doing 68. On the flat it will hit 85 and bounce of a limiter. I did the same hill today and accelerated up it for an overtake.

I'm planning on doing a test ride on a stock one this weekend to do a side by side comparison.

So, to summarise, it's not going to blow you away, but there are tangible benefits if you do highway speeds. I paid £200 for the cam + £100 for fitting and I don't regret it.

I've not had any trouble starting, but I can hear the starter motor working harder to turn the engine over. If you have the weak stock battery you might have issues.
Thanks for that, sounds like it does what it says on the tin. I'm still drawn to the Hitchcocks version, if they ever get them back in stock, as a victim of old school Enfield starter issues
By Andy C
Sounds like the increase is at the top end of the rev range as you say it makes no difference around town.

I was hoping you would say that it has made a difference throughout.

Let us know how the side by side comparison goes.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles