This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Wheaters
Tony A wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:39 pm
Thank you everyone for your comments; I will take them all on board and go through the bike stem to stern. Hopefully I can report back after identifying the culprit failing that a good set or ear plugs may help!
I just pray I do not get in a similar situation as I found myself in 40 odd years ago with a rattly BSA A65; mechanic at the old Nelson & Fords shop in Basildon came out with the "Nah mate they all do that" line................shortly before the bottom end decided to dismantle its self at 60mph on the A127 !
I had a similar situation with my 1961 A7SS. After taking advice and being told "They all do that" and that it was nothing to worry about it seized a big end, snapped the conrod and the remains of it smashed through the underside of the crank case.

Then the advice was "Yes, they often do that, as well!" :roll:
By Tony A
OK update time: While waiting for gaskets etc. off came the primary drive cover. All looked good no lose nuts but chain felt a bit tight, closer look revealed over tension to the point that it had started rubbing on the lower rear mounting lug of the alternator. Closer look still and lots of sparkly aluminum in the oil; so off it all came for a good clean out. Also noticed a very large amount of play in the shafts of the dreaded starter gears so that would not be helping either I think . I will remove the starter and sprag assembly and leave it off: the investigation will continue and thank you all for your comments and help.
By guru
Just to throw me cap into the ring: - try the simpler one first, "Oil" I take it you'r using the right grade stuff and not Tesco's own? Check sufficient oil is accessing the rockers (remove plate at tappet adjusters see how much oil ir returning ALSO take a look how much oil is being pumped up to the rocker arms just mite be an "0"ring seal that's gone, (If has failed this would give a good old constant knocking sound) However, Consider if not enough oil is being pumped around could be a worn oil pump = top end knock. Basically If it use run quite should be no reason why it don't now, only worn parts.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles