This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Andy C
For a while now when I switch the ignition on, the amber engine light will flash / flicker for quite some time, before staying on.

Sometimes the lamp comes on straight away with no flashing.

The pump does not prime untill the lamp stops flashing, but sometimes when the lamp comes on permanantly the pump will take ages to prime.

Sometimes the lamp will come straight on and the pump primes straight away.

Seems to me that it may be a dodgey connection, having said that I have removed / replaced the relay, and also taken the pump connector off and re fitted it.

Anyone any thoughts?

Bike seems to run perfectly OK once the pump is primed, the battery seems to be OK as lights are bright, and starter turns over OK, not checked it with a multimeter yet.
By Andy C
An update to this as I think I may have solved the problem.

I read someplace on the web that the earth wire that goes to the ECU via a connector near the battery -ve terminal is sometimes troublesome, I pulled the connector apart, cleaned it and re connected.

I also pulled the pump relay - the terminals were absolutley plastered in what I assume to be silicon grease, so I cleaned the terminals re fitted, and repeated a few times, eventually when I pulled the relay there was just a little grease left.

The ECU earth connector was also plastered in grease.

Since doing this the pump has primed 100% of the time, so I am wondering whether the over zealous use of the grease was the cause of the problem.
By Andy C
Now I really have sorted it.

It started playing up again so I replaced the relay with an uprated one from our hosts.

It has not failed since fitting the new relay.
By Trev
Andy C wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:12 pm
Now I really have sorted it.

It started playing up again so I replaced the relay with an uprated one from our hosts.

It has not failed since fitting the new relay.

Thanks for posting, not had the issue myself (yet) but you never know when your info will come in useful to someone

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles