This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
IS THERE A SUPPLY PROBLEM WITH THE REPLACEMENT CALIPERS?

I HAVE BEEN WAITING WEEKS FOR THE DEALER TO GET BACK TO ME SO I CAN GET THEM FITTED.

IS THE BIKE SAFE TO RIDE OR IS THIS MAINLY ABOUT COSMETICS? THE REASON i ASK IS BECAUSE DESPITE BEING REGULARLY SERVICED AND CLEANED I NOTICE THAT BOTH FRONT AND REAR BRAKES SEEM PRONE TO STICKING ON
By PeteF
My C5 had sticking front brake from new. The problem would come and go. The dealer was worse than useless so eventually I did it myself. I found the problem to be the caliper housing itself rather than the pistons. It had been assembled totally dry and moisture had got behind the seals causing corrosion which forced the seal tight on the piston. Aluminium corrosion can exert quite a pressure. This prevented the pistons from withdrawing. It was a quick(ish) job to ease the seals out, clean out the groove and apply a smear of brake grease. I reused the seals as they were nearly new and had been carefully removed.

Is yours safe to ride? Depends on how bad they are. Trouble is if they stick at all they heat up pretty quickly which makes them stick on even more.

So much for "Brembo" brakes.
Talking to my local dealer, it is evident that there are supply problems from the factory due to staff shortages resulting from Covid-19 related absence. I have no problem with my calipers, but have been advised to monitor the situation. Personally, think that the problem may be initiated or exacerbated by jet washing. I never use one as they introduce water into all the wrong places.
Thank you. I suspected that covid would crop up (legitimately in this instance) as it continues to be used as an excuse for bad service at every level.
I think a statement/letter from Royal Enfield to clarify the situation would be helpful.
When I asked if the bikes are still safe to ride I was wondering what an insurance company might say if someone comes a cropper whilst riding a bike with a known brake defect
I agree with your comments about jet washing particularly if used on high power settings.
PeteF wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:04 am
Icorrosion which forced the seal tight on the piston. Aluminium corrosion can exert quite a pressure. This prevented the pistons from withdrawing.
This, and the fact it would appear that they have managed to wholly manufacture and ship the new Meteor quicker than supply recall parts for faulty bikes. Customer aftercare at it's "best". :twisted:
Just read this post after having an accident caused by my front calliper suddenly seizing on. I too had received the recall notice but it does state safe to ride and cleaning is sufficient - wrong. I had contacted both local dealers and neither could give me a date for replacement. I had no external signs of corrosion and the bike was fine during my usual checks pre-ride, no brake drag. I rode half a mile, slowed using the brakes to turn right, accelerated slowly after completing the turn, I am still on an estate so no more than 20mph. I had gone no more than 50 yards and the bike felt like it had no power, that’s when I made my second mistake, the first being believing the recall, of pulling the clutch intending to stop. The bike immediately snatched the handle bars to the left and locked the front wheel. I hit the tarmac along with the bike. Broken wrist, ribs and internal bruising. The front brake was solid on. Since then I wrote to Royal Enfield explaining the event and as a functional safety engineer, requested details of risk assessment proving it is safe to allow these bikes to remain on the road with a known potential failure mode. I have never received a response so fast from a company ever. They wanted the bike immediately but I said it would be independently inspected first as I do not trust them - I had the “smoking gun”. Following the inspection I allowed them to take the bike and they replaced the callipers and all damaged parts, the bike was returned last Monday. I have my opinion on this and can only share my failure and events - maybe I was really unlucky but then again, internal corrosion of a front brake callipers preventing piston retraction isn’t acceptable, especially on a bike 6 months old.
By Mann
My 2014 C5 front brake had the same sticking problem. After it locking on on at 60mph, i rode 100 yards to a stop and the disc was glowing red and the brake fluid had boiled. I stripped the caliper and i had corrosion under the piston seals making them not retract. I have never had this problem in 15 years of owning bikes with disc/pad set up.
By PeteF
Mann wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:07 am
My 2014 C5 front brake had the same sticking problem. After it locking on on at 60mph, i rode 100 yards to a stop and the disc was glowing red and the brake fluid had boiled. I stripped the caliper and i had corrosion under the piston seals making them not retract. I have never had this problem in 15 years of owning bikes with disc/pad set up.
Exactly what I had on my C5 and they're not being recalled afaik.
I've heard nothing on the recall, two years into ownership. If it locks up on me and I'm injured, I will be engaging lawyers. I can't believe how RE and the importer can tolerate a situation when there is a known safety issue and yet give such vague guidance to owners.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles