This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Allanfox
Adrian wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:40 pm
The 18T gearbox sprocket on the Electra-X is quite high enough. Pie addicts like me who are also tall (more sail area as well as lb) do better with a 17T, although a fairing would be an option. Never fancied one, myself.

A.
No lightweight myself, maybe a diet would have the same effect as tuning mine! :D

Never understood fairings/screens on road bikes myself either, sort of defeats the point of riding a bike to me!
By Adrian
My old Electra-X always seemed to struggle at WOT in 5th gear even after getting a decent carb and exhaust, things definitely improved after I had a 17T gearbox sprocket fitted, a nippier bike around town was an added bonus, as I was still commuting on it back then.

I mentioned cams, but it was only when Bullet Whisperer loaned me a set of well-used Redditch "S" cams that I fully found out what the missing top-end performance was like, and it was rather impressive for an engine that was intended as an emissions-dodger.

A.
By windmill john
Allanfox wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:34 am
Never understood fairings/screens on road bikes myself either, sort of defeats the point of riding a bike to me!
I understand that below 60 or 70 mph, but when I used to go abroad and belting along at 80 for hours, a fairing was bliss.
By Allanfox
windmill john wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:37 pm
Allanfox wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:34 am
I understand that below 60 or 70 mph, but when I used to go abroad and belting along at 80 for hours, a fairing was bliss.
Fair comment, I have done many long and fast miles on an export T140 and would always take a while for the feeling to return to my arms from hanging on to export bars for too long!
By Nitrowing
It's unlikely that my Electra will be ridden out of town so a fairing would be unnecessary weight.
Bottom end and mid-range torque is all I'd be wanting more of and, to be fair, this bike copes fine at the traffic lights. Certainly fine enough to prevent me spending any money on it.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles