This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By stinkwheel
Specifically the type you put wiring through to stop wires chaffing on metal/plastic edges.

Ii was fitting a couple in the back of my toolbox at the weekend as I was re-routing the "birds nest" into there. I always find fitting them an absolute pain in the backside. I usually fit the wires through the grommet then try to put the grommet in the hole. A little smear of red rubber grease seems to help matters but there is still much ado with poking bits with small screwdrivers, nipped fingers and general annoyance.

I've totally given up on the one that the alternator wiring goes through in the primary chaincase. It annoys me because I have to look at it all the time sitting there on the wiring.

The ones on the nacelle are a pain in the rear to fit too.

Made me wonder if there is a "proper" or even just an easier way of doing this? Top tips and techniques?
By Duke of Wybourne.
I made up some thin walled metal tubing about 2 1/2" long in different " standard " sizes. Heat up the grommet in hot water, cram one end of grommet into end of tube then push the tube trough the hole until the exposed end of the grommet is flush with the metal surface, then pull out the tube. Then feed the wires through.

Oh, and far too many posts on here referring to the "casquette" as a nacelle. :lol:
By Wheaters
windmill john wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:37 pm
Just seen this though and never thought of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmNyjg7QCBA
John
A good tip

A further tip is to put a dab of liquid superglue on the cut edges once it's fitted to make it a full circle again, it will stay in place better.
I've also made my own custom size O rings from a larger diameter one; they will generally glue OK.
By ericpode
Speaking from my long experience with old style radio equipement, I find it essential to fit the grommet before inserting the wires.
By stinkwheel
At long last!

I don't think this thing was ever actually in from new. It was threaded on the wire like it had popped out when I got the bike.

The main thing I did was make the hole significantly bigger. It was 10mm, I drilled it out to 12mm. Still had to split the grommet and soak it in boiling water to get it in.

It literally took longer to fit the grommet than to mount and time up the electronic ignition. Including modifications to the spacers.
By Davedup
I put some thin strong string in the groove of mine, then put that through the hole and pulled it through like they do when they fit windscreens. Seemed to work ok, if a little fiddly

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles