This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
IMG_20210530_195300.jpg
IMG_20210530_195300.jpg (3.84 MiB) Viewed 1304 times
I have not ridden my bullet for 4 years. It's in trials trim and this weekend I was going to replace the points/condensor/plug and check the timing.
The bike starts and ticks over but was a bit tempremental on it's way to the MOT (did not want to start, uneven running).

Going to check the points I saw there was no power at the points - but the bike still started & ran !

Power goes to the coil & there is power to both sides of the coil.

However the wire I expected to go from coil to distributor goes to the module in the pic and from the module a wire goes to the distributor. (coil & module located in toolbox)

The 3 wires going into the module are,
Coil + to module
Coil - to module
Module to Earth

The wire coming out of the module (top left) goes to the distributor.

Does anyone know what this module is, what does it do & do I need it ??
It would be interesting to see what is underneath that heat sink. Could it be a solid state device to switch the coil current and so reduce the current the points have to carry?

Don't understand what you mean by "distributor" I always understood that to be a device that "distributes" the spark to the different plugs in a multi cylinder engine. Cannot see why a single should have one??
ericpode wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 9:34 pm
Don't understand what you mean by "distributor" I always understood that to be a device that "distributes" the spark to the different plugs in a multi cylinder engine. Cannot see why a single should have one??
That's what it's called. It's in all the parts books as "distributor".

I always understood the technical explanation is that in a distributor the points cam rotates on a shaft which is not directly rotated by the crank.

Here's the entry in the parts book.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycl ... ages%2F614
As I thought, a simple device to lighten the load on the points. I see they are still available. I would certainly leave it if it is OK. After all it would be simple to bi-pass if it should fail on the road.

I guess we must put the use of the word "distributor" for "contact breaker" down to translation error. It is after all a similar device to that seen on a car to a non technical writer.
The facile quote from Wikipaedia is correct as far as it goes. It is indeed
"an enclosed rotating shaft used in spark-ignition internal combustion engines that have mechanically timed ignition"

But for a full and legitimate definition of this dual purpose word we must look to Chambers Dictionary.

"Distributor, noun 1 a person or company that distributes goods, especially someone dealing between manufacturer and retailer. 2 a device in the ignition system of a car or other motor vehicle that directs pulses of high-voltage electricity from the induction coil to the spark plugs in the cylinders of the engine."

Note the plurality of plugs and cylinders, indicating more than one. If we only have one cylinder we don't need to do any distributing.
Looking at the first definition of the word, if said manufacturer supplies only one retailer he does not need a "distributor" for his goods. Possibly just a middle man or a carrier.

I fear I am hijacking sarahb's topic. Perhaps it should be moved to one called "Pedants' Corner" ;)

PS. Just found another definition on DICTIONARY.COM
"Automotive, Machinery. a device in a multicylinder engine that distributes the igniting voltage to the spark plugs in a definite sequence."
The use of the word distributor for a contact breaker drive on single cylinder bikes has always seemed wrong to me. Rather that argue the point, when discussing the actual gubbins behind the cylinder, I just put the word in inverted commas. However, I gather the D word is also used for pre-side-points Tiger Cubs, C15s and B40s, but also sometimes referred to as the mushroom.

I blame Redditch for all this, they should have kept on with the magneto..

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles