This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By stinkwheel
vince wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:42 pm
On a standard model the brake rod front end sweeps through the swingarm pivot, in theory keeping the the tension static while the suspension operates. On your footbrake its lower so possibly affecting how the brake operates.
Well, that took a lot more looking at than doing. It's not perfectly aligned with the swingarm but it's within the bounds of it. There isn't a lot of swing on the foot lever now, it's constrained between the frame stop and the footpeg bolt... This maybe isn't a bad thing anyway because I won't be able to stand on it beyond a certain point if I panic brake. I'll just need to keep on top of adjustment... I feel a wing nut coming on.

The rod will also tend to move away from anything it might foul on as the suspension compresses with it like this. I may need to grind a little off the swingarm plate that sticks out where it joins the tubular part to stop it rubbing but this isn't in any way structural.

I may have cocked up the "resting" position of the footpeg, looks a bit too low there again, it'll minimise the chances of me accidentally applying it when I'm up on the pegs.

Ps if you are planning to use the alloy backplate off a crusader you may have to juggle with the spacers.
That back plate arrived today. It LOOKS like it will take standard brake shoes (the grooves line up). It's not far off a good fit either, looks like it'll need a 3mm spacer in the hub to stand it far enough away from the sprocket to not rub. Oh, and the central bronze bush will need turning out to a larger diameter for the stub axle.

I'm not going to do anything with that yet because I'm not sure if the shoes will sit far enough into the drum, it might be a case of turning a bit off the lip rather than fitting a spacer. I'll have a better look once I both have the mental space and find my piece of chalk...

I'm minded to re-try it with standard brake plate. I've basically got a whole new assembly now including the pivot pin, cam and floating busing.
By stinkwheel
Well, after re-fitting the new pivot into the standard brake plate, it's clear that the brake plate is also buckled. Onto the crusader one.

In fairness, not much to do. Standard shoes seem to fit, the cam is the same (but has locating lugs for the ends of the shoes which the Indian one doesn't), even the same splines so i can use the indian lever with the captive trunnion. If I put a new spacer 2.7mm longer between the hub bearing and backplate, it will have the shoes full in contact with the drum, the backplate off the sprocket and the overall width of the hub section within 0.5mm of standard.

I've put it into the local machinist to open out the centre hole, I don't trust a huge 22mm blacksmiths drill in my shonky chinese pillar drill, it's a job for a mill and reamer.

Going to get another for my 612 before you lot buy them all up, the one on that has locked itself up on occasion too...
By stinkwheel
jawa-enfield wrote:
As a Dutchman, i can speak fluent German. Give me a poke if i can help..
Thanks for the kind offer. Although If I can get it to fit, the crusader back plate I got on ebay seems even more robust with regard to its resistance to flex. There is a lot of what looks like quite intelligently designed webbing cast into it as well as a rim around the circumference and strategically placed bronze inserts.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles