This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By stinkwheel
p wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 6:08 pm
I'm looking at the picture of the cracked brake shoe; when I last replaced shoes on my 350 yr 2000 I had to file out those ridges in the "half Holes"ends as my pins didn't have grooves for them, don't know if it is of any relevance?
I can imagine lugs being forced apart otherwise, which would result in fracture just where yours is.....
My pin does have grooves.

I'm pretty sure its broken because the pivot pin bent relative to the back plate while the brake was locked on.
By Kentish Man
I'm thinking the problem might be the flat bar stop that's touching the bottom of the footrest tube. As you have longer shock absorbers and hence more swingarm movement, you have a greater arc of travel. When you panic braked (we all do it!) the brake rod maybe bends or has pressure that makes the stop hit the footrest tube and locks on?

hope you get this sorted.
By stinkwheel
Kentish Man wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 8:58 pm
I'm thinking the problem might be the flat bar stop that's touching the bottom of the footrest tube. As you have longer shock absorbers and hence more swingarm movement, you have a greater arc of travel. When you panic braked (we all do it!) the brake rod maybe bends or has pressure that makes the stop hit the footrest tube and locks on?

hope you get this sorted.
Thanks. Something else to check.

I'm thinking of modifying an old original foot lever, or at least temporarily fitting one to see if this makes the problem go away. The reason I didn't do it originally is because I'm not very sure what material they are made of and had doubts as to my ability to weld/braze to it.
By p
Again not sure if it helps, but my brake lever on the backplate is the other way up (offset inwards), straighter pull and also less twisting moment on that flimsy backplate....
By jawa-enfield
Please file down (rework) th uplifting side of the brake shoe lining. Make the angle under where it touches smaller. It seems that it buckels and this can be the cause..
By bob1
Have you seen my message on 10th May re "Cracked brake shoe" and the replies. Could a wrongly adjusted floating bush be the problem you have experienced?
By stinkwheel
bob1 wrote:Have you seen my message on 10th May re "Cracked brake shoe" and the replies. Could a wrongly adjusted floating bush be the problem you have experienced?
It could be, although it was correctly adjusted before I left home, I was quite particular about it. I am wondering if it might have moved in the emergency stop.

I've ordered a Redditch alloy brake plate off ebay (which has a fixed bush and pivot pin) on spec because it was relatively inexpensive. Not sure if it'll fit but I'll find out soon.
By vince
Hi, as per other blogs, this sounds like a typical floating bush failure. However you stated that it was adjusted and locked correctly, have you an oval drum? On a standard model the brake rod front end sweeps through the swingarm pivot, in theory keeping the the tension static while the suspension operates. On your footbrake its lower so possibly affecting how the brake operates. Another possibility is that the backplate is not perpendicular to the axle. Check the distance piece at the axle is the same distance as the distance at the pivot bolt, it may need shimmering. Vince. Ps if you are planning to use the alloy backplate off a crusader you may have to juggle with the spacers.
By stinkwheel
I'm pretty sure the plate is not perpendicular to the axle. They also tend to flex when the brake is applied making them even less so. This is the case on both of my bullets.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles