This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
By Adrian
It shouldn't need it if both male and female tapers are in good condition.

I had a Boyer ignition rotor come adrift on a BSA (side-points) B40 once, I noticed the male taper had been turned on a lathe rather than having a ground finish as on the original advance and retard unit for the points, it was the right shape but not so good a finish for decent LASTING fit, I should have clouted in in with a hammer!

A.
By ChrisD
AndyFreddy. If you pulled the cam off the taper whilst the backplate was still attached (I presume you mean the bolts on each side of the plate were still screwed home) then you may have stretched the two return springs or even pulled them off the posts. The cam is not on the taper - it is free-floating held on only by the springs. So you need to remove the plate by screwing the removal bolt into the centre after removing the bolt on each side. This plate taper removal bolt is the same as the bolt used to hold the plate on the taper, except it is longer so that as you screw it into the plate, it contacts the base of the taper shaft and thus pushes the plate off the taper. Perhaps I misunderstood you. ChrisD
It is easy to remove the ATU or an electronic ignition rotor from the taper without removing the backplate, I have done it loads of times on RE's, BSA's, Triumphs etc. If you screw a bolt into the threaded centre and either use it as a puller, or tap it sideways to free it from the taper, it cannot damage the springs or anything else. I often make small timing adjustments in this way, if I have run out of backplate movement.
I don't think i will be friends with the Beck electronic ignition.. am ready to order a - checked- new advance system and return to points.
Is there a how to/what position should be what when re-installing the advance-sytsem ground plate?
If you have it positioned so the points are opening roughly in the middle of the backing plate slot with the engine at TDC, you should have room to adjust either way. Static idle timing is 0.8mm before TDC, which isn't a lot.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles