This Forum is now CLOSED use the link to get more details viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13924#p102587
In the meanwhile, i installed the electronic ignition, (Beck's) checked the timing twice and alteredf NOTHING about the carb set-up, which was quite well.

The engine stotters, backfires and sneezes and won't idle..
Replaced spark plug and cap but no effect..
Wat did work was.. screw in the air mixture in completely, hence shutting down the pilot jet? And then it runs 'okay'?

HOW is this possible??
A worn air slide can let air in and sufficient fuel gets in via the main jet tube, past the needle. Idle will be erratic because the slide can then also move around
The carb is new, no false air, no blocked idle jet or idle circuit.(checked multiple times)
I tried the points-ignition again and the bike runs as usual.

Mount the electronic kit again, double check the timing and the same problem occurs.
Runs almost normal when i close the mixture screw and twist it back 90 degrees..
jawa-enfield wrote:The carb is new, no false air, no blocked idle jet or idle circuit.(checked multiple times)

Mount the electronic kit again, double check the timing and the same problem occurs.
Runs almost normal when i close the mixture screw and twist it back 90 degrees..
I would be inclined to stick with the points, then ...
Bullet Whisperer wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:22 pm
jawa-enfield wrote:The carb is new, no false air, no blocked idle jet or idle circuit.(checked multiple times)

I would be inclined to stick with the points, then ...
That is what is also cronning my mind.. points with a Velleman kit.. but.. i really would like to know and understand what is happening here?
By Adrian
As you're probably the only forum user with a Beck ignition, please would you post some links to their web site? It would be interesting to see what their kit involves. I suspect it will be similar to the Boyer or Pazon, but it might have some unique features.

Then maybe check again with your friends in Germany about their EXACT set-up for the PWK carb. Either they are doing something you are not doing, or there's a possible carb manufacturing fault. I know the PWK carbs were sold by the former USA Royal Enfield importer set up especially for the Bullet, and they were quite successful. They're still available from American ebay suppliers. It could be that their Taiwanese copies of the original Keihin PWK are better quality than the mainland Chinese copies of the PWK!

If you're getting a good spark at 0.8mm before top dead centre fully retarded and 9mm before top dead centre fully advanced, and it still does not run properly, you have a carburettor problem.

A.
By Adrian
If you have it running fine on points, that would then suggest that the trigger unit or the TCI box is faulty, I assume your wiring is good (including the HT lead and plug cap) and you have connected it correctly, since you assure us that you have checked the timing.

Does the Beck ignition require a different sort of ignition coil, or is the standard points-type acceptable?

My experience with after-market ignitions on Bullets have either been a Pazon Sure Fire points-replacement kit or the BTH electronic (CDI) magneto, all of which have worked fine, and a Suzuki TCI box on my old Electra-X, which kept the original trigger assembly.

I called up the Beck website but even the translate option using the Chromium browser won't let me see it in English. :lol: It does however look similar in principle to other kits available.

A.

Shop for accessories at Hitchcocks Motorcycles